Mice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can shoot propane into burrows to kill rodents. It’s heavier than air and goes down and infiltrates all the burrow and kills them. I have eliminated my vole population with my 20 lb. propane tank and a weed burner. (do not light)

$2320.00 to shoot CO into a nest?!? That's insane! Mine was under $20!

913r4sexEBL._SL1500_.jpg
I’m gonna call BS on that. How much did the wheeled CO setup that powered it cost?

Rotflmao!

I’m gonna call BS on that. How much did the wheeled CO setup that powered it cost?

Rotflmao!
Sunk cost, or whatever the bean counters will call it. I already had a half dozen CO generators and sufficient garden hose on-site. The only application-specific investment was the adapter between tailpipe and garden hose!

finding where they get into a car is very hard. i had a old but good car i only put 6500 miles a year on it. a mouse got in and for the life of me i could not find his point of entry. went all over the car and nothing. the smell of piss had me get rid of the car to the junk yard. the day the car was going i found his nest. which i could not see until i pull the back of the back seat. he took out a handful of the foam between the back of the back seat and the metal. he was lying in a bed of 2 inches of poop and a flat dead mouse. they have no pride. i pulled the back out with the seat because i was taking the stereo out of it and that's when i found it. the smell was unbearable so the car had to go anyway but i figured if he found his way in so could another mouse. they leave a trail of oil from their body's so as to find there way back to what ever they want. at least that's what i read. hope i never happens again

A friend recommended these to me. Scatter them all over my barn. It's the stuff the professionals around here use

Be careful with the contrac. Dogs like to eat it too. There’s a reason they have to be put into secured containers.

One report here on the Tomcat Repellent granules, from tlc1976. Any second opinions?

I store a lot of boats and sails in an old barn, and I've been extremely lucky so far, just trying to keep everything (covers, sail storage lockers, etc.) buttoned up tight. But I know I'm running on borrowed time, I've just been lucky that nothing has gotten in and done serious damage.

How do these repellent granules work in extreme cold or heat? Any issues with them staining or ruining finished wood? I'm assuming I'd want to put them in a dish or a tupperware with holes in the lid, but can their off-gassing damage anything? One of these boats is finished like a giant piece of floating mahogany furniture.

One report here on the Tomcat Repellent granules, from tlc1976. Any second opinions?

I store a lot of boats and sails in an old barn, and I've been extremely lucky so far, just trying to keep everything (covers, sail storage lockers, etc.) buttoned up tight. But I know I'm running on borrowed time, I've just been lucky that nothing has gotten in and done serious damage.

How do these repellent granules work in extreme cold or heat? Any issues with them staining or ruining finished wood? I'm assuming I'd want to put them in a dish or a tupperware with holes in the lid, but can their off-gassing damage anything? One of these boats is finished like a giant piece of floating mahogany furniture.
I just keep the granules in an old plastic cup and put it in my drink holder.

They smell like extremely strong mint, but I’d rather smell that than mouse junk. If anyone is riding with me I’ll put a lid on the cup or just take it out, but that’s rare.

Heat or cold doesn’t change them. Only if it’s really humid, they’ll want to stick together a bit, so stirring or shaking them periodically takes care of that. Also brings fresh smell to the top.

I just keep the granules in an old plastic cup and put it in my drink holder.

They smell like extremely strong mint, but I’d rather smell that than mouse junk. If anyone is riding with me I’ll put a lid on the cup or just take it out, but that’s rare.

Heat or cold doesn’t change them. Only if it’s really humid, they’ll want to stick together a bit, so stirring or shaking them periodically takes care of that. Also brings fresh smell to the top.
Well, these are open boats, no cabin. So no issue with the smell. The one still smells like fresh varnish after 10 years, those 16 coats are still outgassing! Wouldn't mind if it smelled minty.

The barn gets extremely humid in spring, to where any fresh air introduced causes immediate condensation on everything. Oh, isn't Pennsylvania fun...

I haven’t figured out what to do with sails that are stuck on booms, etc. I throw mine behind my couch, but it’s really not a good solution. I’ve thought of building a box that’ll hold all of it together and attaching it to the bottom of the cabin. I’ve then thought that surface would be an awesome place for an animal to build a nest.

I got nothing…

Well, these are open boats, no cabin. So no issue with the smell. The one still smells like fresh varnish after 10 years, those 16 coats are still outgassing! Wouldn't mind if it smelled minty.

The barn gets extremely humid in spring, to where any fresh air introduced causes immediate condensation on everything. Oh, isn't Pennsylvania fun...
Not so sure how it would do in something wide open. Works best if the smell can be contained. It might work if you could put it directly in a known path. Can’t imagine a mouse could climb a boat hull, it would have to find another way up, like maybe tie down lines or the motor.

I haven’t figured out what to do with sails that are stuck on booms, etc. I throw mine behind my couch, but it’s really not a good solution. I’ve thought of building a box that’ll hold all of it together and attaching it to the bottom of the cabin. I’ve then thought that surface would be an awesome place for an animal to build a nest.

I got nothing…
I built a big box for mine. Each gets wrapped onto a section of PVC pipe, slid into its bag, and then into the box. But the foot of my sails are only 12 feet (Thistle class), so not too terrible. If I had a larger boat with larger sails, I'd probably buy a section of culvert pipe and make two caps for it, as my storage tube.

Not so sure how it would do in something wide open. Works best if the smell can be contained. It might work if you could put it directly in a known path. Can’t imagine a mouse could climb a boat hull, it would have to find another way up, like maybe tie down lines or the motor.
Oh, all boats are kept under cover even indoors, so sealed up pretty well:

IMG_3460.JPG

Hey Limestone, you can see my mainsail storage box on the top shelf, in this photo.

Look like a rat hole to you?? At the base of a big pine. Just feet from the van that was chewed.

78BE50C8-A1DC-4E40-B9F4-2A21B48E8F5A.jpeg

I built a big box for mine. Each gets wrapped onto a section of PVC pipe, slid into its bag, and then into the box. But the foot of my sails are only 12 feet (Thistle class), so not too terrible. If I had a larger boat with larger sails, I'd probably buy a section of culvert pipe and make two caps for it, as my storage tube.
I’ve thought of PVC. I have a bronze cast ring that the mast slides through. I’ve thought of taking it off, since it’d make storing it much simpler, but am afraid I’d store it someplace so safe that I’d never find it again! Lol.

Mice and critters vs wiring harness- royal pia- and expensive. got into the injector and glow plug wiring that got very pricy. for whatever reason -i have a pair electrionic flashing/strobing- 3color and ultra sound units under the hood of that unit seems to working .

A mouse - probably not. Squirrels chew nearly everything, too, and are remarkable climbers.

around here that hole could be a chipmonk they do big damage to everything and anything. cats love them

Reactions: Ashful
around here that hole could be a chipmonk they do big damage to everything and anything. cats love them
I was thinking the same. Anyone remember this?

Mice nested in a wood pile that I had inside for a large interior paneling project that Ive been slowly working on as I get to various areas of this remodel. I bought everything I needed in one swoop because the prices were expected to sky rocket, which they did...more than doubling. So buying then saved me like $3k. Im going to need to cut out like 15 boards and use the two halves instead of one longer piece and save from having a seam.

Sons a bitches.

• Wow
Reactions: Ashful
Third night of traps set 5 in total this time. Same places as night 1 and 2 plus two more. Nights one and two all bait was gone 4/6 traps tripped. Night three, after propane in the hole, 5/5 traps have bait and not tripped. Somewhat encouraging.

Do you have a trail cam? Rats are quick learners and might be avoiding the traps.