Chipmunks are amazing diggers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
For years, I have been finding 1.5 inch diameter holes in the lawn around my barn. These are often dug at this time of year in the dry and hard-as-concrete tracks left by pulling my tractor in and out several times per week. It’s grounded it’s so hard, you would need a pickax to get through it, so I always wondered what type of animal was capable of making these holes.

Today, while standing in the doorway of my shed, I saw a chipmunk dark across the lawn, and dive into one of these freshly-dug holes. Amazing that they’re able to dig thru dirt so dry and compacted by tractor traffic!

92C7A538-FE0D-4C16-AFFA-96CDA09379CD.jpeg

Reactions: Dix
I'm watching them come out of one of the wood in the morning when I sit on the deck.

I think they have made a home !

I'm watching them come out of one of the wood in the morning when I sit on the deck.

I think they have made a home !
Hands-down, my favorite yard animal to watch. We never had them at any of my prior houses. Squirrels by the bushel, but never chipmunks. So, I was delighted when I moved here a dozen years ago, and found them scurrying around my patio. Like squirrels on speed!

• Haha
Reactions: Dix
Yeah, they are.

And too damned cute ;)

I really enjoy the many chipmunks that live around our house although I suspect a few got into our cars and made a mess.

Funny story - my little sister only admitted recently that she set free a chipmunk that my grandfather caught and gave me as a pet many years ago. I'm glad she did it but I wish she had told me sooner.

I have many factions of them running around me at all times, constantly at war with each other as they scurry to gather. It's funny when a big gray squirrel comes in and breaks it all up.

Direct burial?

Hm, i don't have animals who can break their legs in a hole like they make, so I have no trouble with them around my home (yet?).

I guess I'm letting my softer side show, but I really enjoy watching them.

... and yes, I still watch the old Chip n Dale cartoons (1930's/40's vintage), too.

I like them better than squirrels. I'm glad for the hawks we have here - they eat a lot of squirrels...

I like them better than squirrels. I'm glad for the hawks we have here - they eat a lot of squirrels...
I have chickens, so hawks are my natural enemies. I used to let the chickens roam around the yard, collecting bugs. They loved it, and I found them entertaining. But after a few attempted and one successful hawk attack, now I have to keep them penned up 24/7.

It's probably not by chance that a new hawks nest appeared at the edge of my property, just a few months after I got the first chickens.

I can't fault the hawk. Free range chickens taste the best...

Reactions: Ashful
I can't fault the hawk. Free range chickens taste the best...
Yep... that's the trouble with being a chicken. Everything and everyone thinks you taste good.

Yep... that's the trouble with being a chicken.
And that, my friends, is the philosophical highlight of the day on this website.

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful