Micore 300 vs Micore SB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I'm researching Micore and I learned it comes in three flavors: Micore 300, Micore 160 and Micore SB.

The SB seems most suited for heart applications since it is clearly specified for use as a hearth extension and tested per UL 1618 ,whereas the 300 and 160 don't mention anything about hearth applications. All the stuff I read on hearth seems to indicate Micore 300 is ok to use.

The spec sheets for 160 and SB seem identical.

I'm not trying to be "obsessive" but what is the deal with "code"?

Micore_160.jpg Micore_300.jpg

Micore_SB.jpg

Last edited:
The SB has a higher insulation factor, but is also more compressible. Micore 300 has a lower R factor but is firmer.

Yup, That seems to be the case.

What bugs me is that only the Micore SB is "listed" for use for a Hearth extension, but everybody seems to use Micore 300.

Could be that it's just easier to get hold of. SB is a limited market.

I just heard of Micore and thought of using behind my stove, for extra protection. Learning as I go, was told can't put mortar for cultured stone against it, must go micore, then durarock, then cultured stone.
Google search led me to this article.
Has more been learned about which Micore to use ?
Does anyone have experience with or new knowledge about Micore.

That is correct, micore is porous and won't hold the stone. It would be easier and perhaps better to go with a ventilated wall shield and no micore. This will very amply protect the wall behind the shield. The shield can be made of Durock on 1" non-combustible spacers or spacer strips. It needs to be open about an inch top and bottom to allow air to freely convect behind it.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/#post-1987380

Status
Not open for further replies.