Mid Season Reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
Well, the time has come. We are just past mid season and I have to move up more wood... I was hoping that we would be able to not have to move a stack, but we just finished off about 2.3 cords that were stacked up under the porch. We have another 2 months of burning, so I think i'll tear down the holzhausen that has been seasoning since feb 2017 (most of the wood was stacked before that, but I built the holzhausen in feb) and see where that is at with moisture content.
upload_2018-3-2_16-1-40.png

How's everyone else looking with their season's supply? I think this will get me to finish off the season without moving more.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
This year I am through 4.75 cords heating a 2400 sq ft log home in upstate NY. It was all pine and poplar though. I just have been taking what's down as its free. I have room for 15 full cord in our woodshed.

I was behind schedule this fall in terms of stacking. I’ve been through maybe 3-4 cords this winter, maybe more. I was glad the temps warmed up this week because it melted the snow off my piles haha. Will probably need another 1-2 cords depending on April (that’s my wife’s name. Just kidding).
Looking forward to moving some wood and doing some cutting this weekend. Maybe do some scrounging after this wind storm is over.

I’d say we are well past the midpoint of the heating season up here as the super cold below zero temps should be well in the past now and we are in the 40’s for highs on many days now. I’ve burned about 2.5 cord of wood and 160 gallons of LP so far this winter and I have 2 face cords of dry wood left so I’m in good shape. The house is 3,000 sq ft but the basement stays around 52 degrees in the winter, it’s not directly heated.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000