Midwest Flood of 2008

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolves-Lower

Oct 26, 2007
Northeastern Iowa
All I can say is WOW!
I live in North East Iowa. The River that flows through my town is called the Cedar River.
Records of river levels are not suppose to do this.
In Cedar Falls the record was smashed by 5.93 feet. Worse in Cedar Rapids it was smashed by 12.1 feet.
People lost it all, homes, property, a way of life.
I see it everyday when I return to my home to reclaim what is left. It is written on their faces.

What does this have to do with wood?
Hardly anything, but it is one of those nagging things left unanswered.
I was two years ahead of the game before June 10, 2008.
I had 6 cords of mixed hardwood including:
Locust
Hickory
Red Oak
Oak
Before the flood hit I had taken some measures to protect my property including securing my wood.
It all failed.
My log wood shed survived with some wood intact. Yesterday I recovered three pickup loads of cut wood in the woods downstream of my house...why I have no idea considering I will most likely never return to my former home, let alone have a place to burn.
It must be human nature to reclaim what is ours.
To any other members effected by the Floods of 2008 my thoughts and prayers are with you.

It's hard to imagine how shattered your lives must be. You've summed up your tragedy elegantly and my heart goes out to you, your family and community. Is there anything we can do to help?

I can't imagine what you are going through. Good luck and remember that that which doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger. It's sounds like you still have your health and that’s important. Please, no matter how small the request, let us know what we can do to help. I was a volunteer firefighter for years and my friends would ask me, " Why do you do it, you risk life and limb for strangers." I tell them it's my nature, it's how I was raised. So let me know if I can help in anyway. My prayers are with you. Keep your head high, you can pick up the pieces.

W-L, I am very sorry to hear of your battle. Things do have a way of working out for the best. We (my company) have donated time, trucks and man power to the Wisconsin and Iowa areas that have been hit. It is a surreal site to behold.

Being of the wood burning type, I can only assume that you are a little "stronger" type of person than most. Be strong.

Jags.

It is heart breaking enough to read the news accounts of the devastation but all that much worse to know that one of the wood burning family has lost so much.

Our prayers are with and your family my friend.

W L IT's hard to keep looking forward when you've been through so much. As we are keeping you and your family in our prayers. I ask that you don't stop praying, God will help you through this and things will be alright in the end.

Wolves-Lower:
I am very sad to hear of your great loss.
Please, do not give in to the devastation you see, the sadness you feel.
You have, and will survive- and what nature took- take back again.
Jah Bless.

Having never suffered the tragic misfortune of losing basically everything, I have a hard time trying to visualize what that must feel like, look like, be like. Devastating, heartbreaking, demoralizing, I'm sure don't come close to describing the experience. I'm so sorry that you, or anyone else, has to go through this. Go through it you will, though...you're alive and kicking. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, horrifying as I'm sure it has been (and continues to be) for you, and I wish you all the best in your efforts to rebuild your life...which I'm confident you will do. Please stay in touch with us. Rick

I can relate to what you are going through. We had a record flood here two years ago last month. We watched houses dissapear down steam, lives lost, dreams shattered. Thoughts and prayers with you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the people of Iowa who who were impacted by this tragedy. Best of luck with your rebuilding and God Bless. Feel free to forward on a local charity who will deliver resources to you and your fellow citizens in the area.

Having suffered total loss in the past, our hearts go out to you and your family along with so many others. Hopefully, like we did, you have suffered greatly, but will be stronger in the end. Just keep it together and don't let it get you down too far. When you are down, that is the time to start climbing. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.