1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Might have my first really good score ... how much to "tip" ?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Slow1, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Here's the deal.. On my way back from dropping my daughter off at school I saw a tree crew setting up around the block from my house. I stopped quick and talked to them - asked them what they planned to do with the wood etc - bottom line, they agreed to drop it off in my back yard! :) No charge... sweet. Now, it isn't all premium hardwood - he said they are mostly taking out poplar (which I actually had to search a little to find a BTU rating for... it seems to be right about the same as pine, oh well - free is free eh?) but I'm sure if it had all been good oak I wouldn't be getting them to drop it off now would I?

So... here I am expecting to get what looks to be more than 1 but less then 3 cords worth of log length wood dropped in my back yard and it seems some sort of tip would be in order - any guidance/suggestions here? Seems going overboard reduces the value of the 'free' wood, but I also would like them to think of me if they are ever in the area again...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    case of cold beer
  3. humpin iron

humpin iron Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeast
    $20 for each guy- ask to them to keep remembering you when they need to get rid of wood and tip em each time
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    ^ +1. $20/head is what I'd do...tell 'em I'm buying lunch or beers or whatever they want. They won't forget. Rick
  5. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Thanks for the suggestions - I gave them $60 which seems to be close to your suggested amounts. I'm not sure how many were in their crew, more than 3 though. The guy I was talking to seemed quite surprised and happy at it so all is well.

Now - what did I get? Well, it looks to be more than 1 and less than 3 cords of logs (I am terrible at guessing these things). Poplar and birch according to them and I bet they know far better than I do. So not the best for BTU, but a bargain for me in any case. Now I have something to do and a good use for that new (used) saw that I picked up yesterday... my wife will of course figure I somehow planned this, but she will know I'm not quite that good.
  6. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Pretty good score...$60 seems a little on the high side, but if it works out to closer to three than 1 I think it was a good bet.
    Do us all a favor, take some pics of the wood and your new-old saw....saw your posts on the other pages regarding the older Stihl....what did ya haggle him down to? $75 seems like a good price.
    Good score.
  7. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sounds like a good score!

In the future they will remember him though. :)
  8. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    IF I were to assume it is 2 cords, then that is $30/cord. I can't haul wood home for that rate right now if it is very far by time I borrow my friends van and trailer (I buy him gas and generally am generous there as it is a pain to his schedule for me to get it and all). So, even though this is less than ideal wood, it is certainly not a bad rate in my eyes so I'm happy. If it is 3 cords then it's down to $20/cord - not a huge difference really eh?

Now, if this has about 1/2 the BTU of 'good' hardwood like oak then I can consider I'd be happy to pay $60/cord for oak logs delivered - granted this will have 2x the work /BTU on this line of reasoning... oh, whatever! I'm happy and now I can play with my saw, spend some more quality time with my fiskars, and maybe I made some guys who generally work a lot harder than I do happy. What's not to like?
  9. daveswoodhauler

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Yup, I agree...
    I think I was just saying that if it works out to be a cord of poplar/log length for $60 bucks it might seem a little high....but if it means more in the future it would be worth it I guess.
    Also, they might expect the same tip next time around :)......the proof is in the pudding...we need some photos to see how much is there.
  10. daveswoodhauler

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I think you got a good deal, and it should give you some scores the next time around. (Sometimes I don't type as well as I think)
    Enjoy the new saw and splitting axe. (Just don't spend too much time outside or your wife will get mad like mine :)
  11. JBinKC

JBinKC Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Hopefully, in the process of the tip you informed them you would be willing to be a dump off site for any wood that they would normally dispose. I am sure you will get plenty more of it in the future.
  12. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    yes hopefully you got their number so you can keep in touch and yes they will remember you which is a good thing
  13. joshlaugh

joshlaugh New Member

Loc:
    Granville, Ohio
    I say that you did good esp with tipping them. I would think they will remember you next time they are in the area and maybe you can start putting in requests for some of the better wood?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.