Might want to check your door glass........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
Well, we've had a couple of warm nights without a fire and I decided to clean the ashes out today.......when I notice that the glass on BOTH doors of our Isle Royale had come loose and slipped a little!! The right side seemed to still be making good contact with the glass gasket, but on the left door there was a good 3/32"-1/8" gap where the top edge of the glass had slipped below the gasket!!! I wonder how much air that was letting in......Anywho, I moved the glass pieces up higher on each door and tightened the retaining clips. Interestingly enough the secondaries seem like they're burning MUCH more intensely tonight......

I never thought to check the door glass although I suppose I should have especially considering that we just moved the stove a few months ago. Even though it's my fault for not looking closely, I do consider this a bit of a design flaw---there should be a bottom channel for the glass pieces to sit in to prevent just this sort of thing from happening or at the very least the bottom two retaining clips should stop the glass from sliding down by being placed under the bottom edge of the glass as opposed to off to the side like they are on mine.

While the stove was cool and I had my screwdriver out I checked all the retaining clips and half of them were loose. I tightened them as snug as I dared as I didn't want to crack the glass--does anyone know if you're supposed to tighten the screws all the way down and the screw length is set to the gasket thickness so that all the way tight won't crack the glass?

Thanks!

NP

I found a poor gasket seal in an area on our Castine and about a 1/16" gap in that area. I finessed the gasket in place and gingerly tightened the glass holding clips until I could see and confirm gasket contact. But I did not try to push it and took the clip screws no further.

NP, I just went through this on my Jotul. Here is the link to the thread- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84206/#1018224 . I to noticed the loose door glass while cleaning it. My stove has I believe to small lips cast in the door to prevent the glass from dropping. The two clips that hold the glass in have a small piece of flat gasket material with tiny notches to prevent the flat gasket from falling out of the clip.

It may be worthwhile to re-gasket the glass while your looking into this. I am surprised that there is not a channel to keep the glass from dropping. I am not familar with your stove, but see if the manual has the information or a local dealer that could direct you on tightening the clips.

I would think that BG's method is probably spot on. Tighten them till good contact and friction (on the gasket) occur, then stop.

The glass on my old VC Resolute actually popped off during the PEAK of the burn cycle. This caused a raging fire and a raging heart attack.
I placed layers of aluminum foil over the opening, then waited till the fire cooled.

From then on I constantly checked the clips, which were constantly loosening.

Jags said:
I would think that BG's method is probably spot on. Tighten them till good contact and friction (on the gasket) occur, then stop.

Or like my Grandpa used to say: "tighten it until it snaps and then back off a half turn!"

NP

Nonprophet said:
Jags said:

Or like my Grandpa used to say: "tighten it until it snaps and then back off a half turn!"

NP

You got it. I never met the man, but I like your Gandpa. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.