Mighty Mini 12 - 12 inch tiny woodburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hass said:
I was looking for a wood stove w/ secondaries to heat a 14x17 shed... Looks like this is it, hmm? A bit small though for sure. I like the idea of a barrel stove more ;)

funny that the clearances on the mini stove are further than a full size stove (BK stove) I wonder if he just made them up himself or actually got an agency to test/approve it.

I'm hoping he got it tested because it's far less than the 36" required by untested stoves.

Hello everyone. I'm the guy that invented the Mini12. I'm finally able to manufacture and sell some of these little beauties. Thanks for the input and feedback. The Mini 12 is designed to give quick heat in small spaces with little fuel. (about 500 sq.ft.) The dude who tried to sell some for me DID exaggerate-I'm sorry for that. I'm currently building one with a cook top and also a 16 inch model.If anyone is interested, I'll set em up on Ebay until I get the storefront on my website. Thanks again. Lloyd Gray www.miniwoodstove.com
IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0525.JPGIMG_0796.JPG

Does that door utilize a gasket?

Has it been or in the process of being UL tested?

pen

I am curious as to how stable it is with a stand ? Is it top heavy or does it anchor down some how ?

Pete

I'm curious as to whether Lloyd has chatted with the webmaster here about advertising policy...? :rolleyes: What say ye, Lloyd...have you talked with Craig Issod? Rick

Two things that I am going to have to pick on (sorry Lloyd). First is no door gasket and second is the use of gravity to hold the (I believe) ash pan lid down. These two items tell me that it is not sealed and therefore will probably not be UL tested and would not pass EPA phase two tests.

I think the concept is pretty cool. It appears (visually) to be a well built stove. I could see a niche market for it. I think it would have a bigger market if it was UL and EPA tested.

Thanks again for the feedback. Yes, the door has no gasket. Yes, the unit is top heavy with the stand. The foot pads bolt to the stand and the stand bolts to the floor or wall. Sorry, not trying to advertise-looking for criticism and advice. The unit has not been tested yet-still looking for backing and manufacturers-building on a shoestring.

Thanks again for the feedback. Yes, the door has no gasket. Yes, the unit is top heavy with the stand. The foot pads bolt to the stand and the stand bolts to the floor or wall. Sorry, not trying to advertise-looking for criticism and advice. The unit has not been tested yet-still looking for backing and manufacturers-building on a shoestring.

With NO DOOR GASKET... Why is there an air control? No gasket means an air leak.

I wouldn't buy one. Just based on that. Thats a New technology stove (secondary burn) with Old School Technology (no door gasket?).

Sorry........ You may have good intentions. But without a UL listing and also talking to Webbie about advertising? Your not gonna get much backing here.

What provides the air wash to keep the glass clean?

For the next gen I would:
a. make the minimum size 14"
b. eliminate the bolt on front
c. gasket the new door
d. drop the tall stand and offer it with 2 different leg lengths instead

Funny, I remember the exact post from BrianK a while back.
Are Lloyd and he connected/business partners.
Smells like spam.
Sorry but I had to say it.

Very cool idea for these miniature stoves, and I wish you all the success in the world. While some of the comments above may sound negative, these folks know their stuff, and it can all be taken as constructive criticism. It's great to have another stove option on the market, particularly one so unique.

As a boater, but with a boat too small (and too wooden!) for housing a wood stove in the galley, I have to wonder... what is the contstruction of typical marine stoves? There's not a fitting on my boat that's not stainless steel, and for good reason. Any steel or iron on a boat quickly looks like it's sat on the beach for 20 years when left on a boat year-round. The salt air and constant humidity in a boat galley is not a friendly environment!

Bigger boats usually have drier cabins. Cast iron is used with success.

http://www.marinestove.com/

Maybe, but I've been on a lot of boats the size of the one shown on their site, and I can say that humid salt air permeates all. If not, you'd have trouble breathing!

Then again... most traditionally varnished brightwork calls for a yearly coat of varnish, so what's one yearly stove touch-up, in the grand scheme of things? Note the hearth is all stainless steel.

home_4_pics.jpg

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Funny, I remember the exact post from BrianK a while back.
Are Lloyd and he connected/business partners.

Heck no!

I'm in medicine. I don't need any involvement in the stove business.
Smells like spam.
Sorry but I had to say it.

I posted the original thread. I saw an ad for this Mini stove on a local online sales site (while searching for a trailer to haul firewood) and found the idea intriguing because of its size, so I posted a thread here.

I had looked at sailboat stoves in the past when my son and I were shopping for sailboats (and hunters here often use small sheds for hunting cabins, so this might work there too), and I knew the mini stoves currently on the market were very expensive given their size.

I also emailed Lloyd and told him to put a cook top on it and try to market it to the sailing community.

I don't know Lloyd from Adam, but I do like to see fellow Pennsylvania inventors/entrepreneurs succeed when possible, so I thought the bright minds here could point out the pitfalls of what this guy is attempting to do.

Give the guy constructive criticism. Point out the design flaws. Help him engage in the American dream, or at least give him fair warning to keep himself from being sued out of existence for a poorly designed/tested stove (if that's the case.)

Heck no!

I posted the original thread. I saw an ad for this Mini stove on a local online sales site (while searching for a trailer to haul firewood) and found the idea intriguing because of its size, so I posted a thread here.

I had looked at sailboat stoves in the past when my son and I were shopping for sailboats (and hunters here often use small sheds for hunting cabins, so this might work there too), and I knew the mini stoves currently on the market were very expensive given their size.

I also emailed Lloyd and told him to put a cook top on it and try to market it to the sailing community.

I don't know Lloyd from Adam, but I do like to see fellow Pennsylvania inventors/entrepreneurs succeed when possible, so I thought the bright minds here could point out the pitfalls of what this guy is attempting to do.

Give the guy constructive criticism. Point out the design flaws. Help him engage in the American dream, or at least give him fair warning to keep himself from being sued out of existence for a poorly designed/tested stove (if that's the case.)

Brian! How dare you! Such a forum faux pas. I'm just kidding man, but whoa this thread got heated up quickly. I personally never felt it was a spam thread, really enjoyed the video and love that the inventor chimed in on this thread. That is so cool.

Here are my questions to the inventor, Lloyd:
  • Is the lack of door gasket part of the natural air intake of the stove. My secondary burner has door gasket but also has a few air intakes that are always open to keep the unit from smoldering.
  • Is there a reason besides budget that you left the bolts visible and a part of the aesthetic, instead of welding the front? Again is this a part of the intake (assuming that there are air gaps at the joints)
  • In the video HARDWOOD was pushed as though you shouldn't burn softwoods in this unit. Is there a reason for this? Many wood burners only have access to softwoods and have been burning softwood for generations.
  • Do you heat your house with wood currently? If so, what appliance do you use to heat your house?
I look forward to your feedback. Good luck with this. I think it's cool that you have the balls to put something out there that you have obviously worked very hard to create.
*This forum should be a great resource to you. You will not find a better informed public than this forum. You can learn a lot about your potential market in these threads.

Reactions: BrianK
Heck no!

OK. My appologies.
I am am in purchasing in a hospital setting and receive sales pitches via email constantly. After a while I start to recognize them. At least some of the pharmacueticals send in beautiful women to try to sell to me. Then I pay attention.
I wish Lloyd luck and again, my appologies, my bad.

Reactions: BrianK
OK. My appologies.
I am am in purchasing in a hospital setting and receive sales pitches via email constantly. After a while I start to recognize them. At least some of the pharmacueticals send in beautiful women to try to sell to me. Then I pay attention.
I wish Lloyd luck and again, my appologies, my bad.
No problem.

We used to get some really nice drug reps coming into my office, but the pharmaceutical industry has changed dramatically and I don't see near as many drug reps as I used to. Plus I'm just a Podiatrist, so we don't get as many reps as the MDs in general.

i think its a cool stove. perfect for a boater (try hooking up with west marine) or in a camper instead of the propane furnace or as some mentioned a small hunting camp. doesn't he say its a parlor stove....meant for heating one room, not the whole house. i don't need one, but i still think its cool and has a place among small stoves ; especially if its reasonably priced, not a gouge like so many manufacturers.

jmho

cass

Brian! How dare you! Such a forum faux pas. I'm just kidding man, but whoa this thread got heated up quickly. I personally never felt it was a spam thread, really enjoyed the video and love that the inventor chimed in on this thread. That is so cool.

Here are my questions to the inventor, Lloyd:
  • Is the lack of door gasket part of the natural air intake of the stove. My secondary burner has door gasket but also has a few air intakes that are always open to keep the unit from smoldering.
  • Is there a reason besides budget that you left the bolts visible and a part of the aesthetic, instead of welding the front? Again is this a part of the intake (assuming that there are air gaps at the joints)
  • In the video HARDWOOD was pushed as though you shouldn't burn softwoods in this unit. Is there a reason for this? Many wood burners only have access to softwoods and have been burning softwood for generations.
  • Do you heat your house with wood currently? If so, what appliance do you use to heat your house?
I look forward to your feedback. Good luck with this. I think it's cool that you have the balls to put something out there that you have obviously worked very hard to create.
*This forum should be a great resource to you. You will not find a better informed public than this forum. You can learn a lot about your potential market in these threads.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. I'll try to answer your questions. About the door gasket- I'm going to incorporate one on the next gen. The ones I'm building now are very tight fitting and any small leaks don't seem to affect the performance. The bolt-on front serves two purposes- The first is easy access and maintenance should any brick or grate needs replaced, the second is purely aesthetic for a steam-punk industrial look.
All solid woods burn well in this unit, I burn softwoods also, I just recommend hardwoods because of the density (don't have to reload as often). A full load of hardwood will burn down in 1-1/2 to 2 hrs and the coals will relight quickly when pushed into the grate area.

We use the Mini 12 for secondary heat in our open 26 x 30 ft upstairs apartment. The apt is very well insulated, so a couple electric/oil radiators keep the place warm enough till we get home and fire up the mini.

There are two separate air intakes. one through the front under the draft plate and the secondary thru gill slots on the sides that feed the injector on top.
I really value you guys' advice and criticism, that's why i joined hearth.com Peace and warmth.....

Yes, I'm starting from scratch, so I'm going to market them as patio or untested stove until I can raise the capital for the testing fees. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again

Thanks Blue Vomit and Jags, great idea! I love to work in stainless-it welds like butter! Workin on the cook top model now. Brian Ks idea.

Hello Wood burners. Need some advice on getting UL tested and EPA certified. Has anyone gone through this? Any advice for a fledgeling fabricator? Got a gasket on the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.