1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Mild autumn?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Pagey, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Is this mild weather nation-wide or what, fellow burners? Here in ye good ole Southeast, we're supposed to hit 74F today. Not shabby for December 3rd. How's the weather in your neck of the woods this fall? You burning less than average, too?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    Crazy here in Ohio too. 65f right now
  3. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    I had to dodge a few wasps to sweep the flue Saturday.
  4. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    64 today.

Pretty sure our Alaska members are giving us the finger right about now.
    ScotO and n3pro like this.
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Its very warm here today... high 50s. My wife read somewhere that on average though November was colder than last year.

So far Ive burned about a face cord. More than last year to this point, but similar to the couple years prior.
  6. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Mild today but I think we've been pretty average around here so far. Some ups and downs but overall I'd "guess" average.
  7. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    It's early, but it feels like another mild Winter is in store for this year. Hopefully we can get at least 1 good snow here. I never had to use my shovel or put down salt last year. First time I never had to shovel.
  8. Kaptain

Kaptain Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    It hasn't been that mild in Central PA (not counting today and tomorrow). It had been touching freezing consistently for the past month. The bit of snow that we got last week was still laying in some spots yesterday.
    ScotO likes this.
  9. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Very warm here today, 60 degrees! Thats ridiculous. _g I took advantage of the warm weather though and swept my chimney and cleaned the inside of my stove. I try and do that periodically through the winter when we get a warm spell. I like a monthly chimney sweeping, gives me peace of mind!
    ScotO likes this.
  10. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]
  11. HomeBruin

HomeBruin New Member

Loc:
    Califon, NJ
    Not so in NJ. If fact, temps here have been below normal all season. Except for today/tomorrow. Unusually warm, 61 deg F. 46 is the normal high for today. The record is 65 (1970) for today here, for 12/4 the record is 64 (1951).
  12. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Yep, I was all excited about my new Buck 91 lit it last Saturday burned it all the way to this past Saturday without relighting one time and now it is shut down. 70 degrees here.
  13. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Apart from the rain, that looks like a pretty good 10 day forecast.
  14. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    Very mild here. We've had no significant snowfall, and snow around Halloween is not uncommon. Grass is still pretty green. Only thing worse than a brown Christmas is a green Christmas.
    ScotO likes this.
  15. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    I don't have the exact numbers on me at the moment, but in terms of 'heating degree days' we are cooler this year than at least the last two years here. I've burned more wood than last year (mild year) and about the same as two years ago. Although nice weather lately, last week was a bit cool - had the stove running 24/7 for just about a full week. No fire expected tonight though and who knows about tomorrow... things can change fast.
  16. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Burlington Vermont just broke their 18 months of above normal temps streak in November. I expect Sandy skewed the results as the area had 5 to 6 days of zero sun.

So far its a "recent normal" winter up north (I expect looking at 100 trend for this area its been downright balmy)
  17. Maple man

Maple man Burning Hunk

Loc:
    cairo ny in the catskill mtns
    besides the warmer temps today it has bin chilly looks a little milder this week 7Day_Forecast.jpg
  18. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ten to fifteen below normal day and night all of November. Burned more wood in November than I have in years. It ate my wood savings from last year. Two days of seventy and then we slide back down.
  19. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Ponds were skimming over with ice last week, but they are all melted now. It may be the second year without ice fishing. :mad:

It looks like I will get the last leaves raked up after all.
  20. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Now, BB, you just seem one of them thar fancy cat stoves. ;)
  21. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    I went back and look at the numbers... Im anal retentive enough to track the heating degree days and fuel usage each winter so I can determine if insulation improvements etc are making a difference. Here is the result for me

Nov 2012 - 751 HDD
    Nov 2011 -503
    Nov 2010 -688
    Nov 2009 - 571

So far this is the coldest November since we moved into this house.
  22. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Ok - hard numbers :)

As of Dec 2nd each year... HDD are 65* Heating degree days for my local.

Year - HDD - Splits burned - HDD/Split (weird efficiency number of sorts, higher is better?)
    2012 - 1284 - 410 - 3.13
    2011 - 988 - 259 - 3.81
    2010 - 1157 - 427 - 2.71
    2009 - 1272 - 339 - 3.79 (10 day vacation in November, no wood burned)

So it looks like this year is the coldest I have recorded for the last 4 years. Also seems that I'm not doing much worse than I did two years ago in terms of wood consumption... new stove and all I figured I was way above in terms of burn rate...
  23. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    What do the numbers mean?
  24. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    November in Harrisburg, PA ended up 3.4 degrees below normal. Tomorrow looks to be the warmest day this week then reality sets in and back to near normal. Several models have the second half of the month quite frigid. Time will tell.
  25. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We've had ups and downs too but that is normal. Much of October seemed colder than its been in the last several years and definitely November had some cold weather.

Typically in the first week of December we usually get 3-4" of snow but it usually does not stay long. Then toward the middle of he month we typically get our first really cold spell. Christmas can be either way but is usually cold and I think we have over 77% chance of white Christmas.

Our real cold weather normally comes in around January 10.

I have a feeling that this winter we'll see lots of cold air but yet frequent warm-ups with those lasting 2-3 days or shorter. I do not expect deep snow but perhaps more ice. I hope I am all wrong.