Milling a set of cloths line T's today? Update finished Pic!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Any tips for setting up a Nice cloths line. Going to use Ash for the T's Thinking6x6?

Sorry Jay, only one I've ever made was out of pipe. Grandmother liked it, was all I cared about.

6X6 is probably overkill for the average clothesline. I'm going to replace the one out there some time with a 4x4. It's just a pole now. But it has been there since before I was born.

Now if you wanted to hang a bunch of upside down tomatoes or something a 6x6 might be nice for when each plant weighs about 80 lbs.

Matt

smokinjay said:
Any tips for setting up a Nice cloths line. Going to use Ash for the T's Thinking6x6?

Big Ole Pine over to a Big Ole Pine up here. The wife does want a different setup so once you have it up, well post a picture.

Zap

EatenByLimestone said:
6X6 is probably overkill for the average clothesline. I'm going to replace the one out there some time with a 4x4. It's just a pole now. But it has been there since before I was born.

Now if you wanted to hang a bunch of upside down tomatoes or something a 6x6 might be nice for when each plant weighs about 80 lbs.

Matt

sorry 4x6.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Big Ole Pine over to a Big Ole Pine up here. The wife does want a different setup so once you have it up, well post a picture.

Zap

Just have to mini mill into beams now. May use the 192t for the narrower kerf.

Beetle-Kill said:
Sorry Jay, only one I've ever made was out of pipe. Grandmother liked it, was all I cared about.

My parents have one. I just happen to have an ash with some bore damage not good enough for furniture and much cheaper than pipe. (or treated ) FREE lol

Still more than is really needed unless the line is really long and heavy. But I suppose aesthetics must play a part also. The line shouldn't be pulling THAT hard on it.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Still more than is really needed unless the line is really long and heavy. But I suppose aesthetics must play a part also. The line shouldn't be pulling THAT hard on it.

Matt

Maybe but when your milling it I always go bigger than I need to. The log got some bore damage and by sizeing the log up I could get two nice 4 inch slabs. 3-3inch + kerf would not happen and 2-3 would be wasted log. Beef-in it up seem better choice. Now theres going to be enough left for the T's as well. Should turn out looking like the sweeetest over kill cloths line in history, but thats nothing new. Cost was half gallon of Mix.

Just had to dry a sweatshirt the other day before i ran out to a party. Killed me to just hang it in the house...

Got to get that clothes line up this year...even if my wife doesn't use it i will use it on my clothes...

CTwoodburner said:
Just had to dry a sweatshirt the other day before i ran out to a party. Killed me to just hang it in the house...

Got to get that clothes line up this year...even if my wife doesn't use it i will use it on my clothes...

Yes if nothing else be great for all the blankets sleeping bags and winter gear, oh and chaps. lol

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

oh god dont grow tomatoes upside down. its just not natural.......

phatfarmerbob said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

oh god dont grow tomatoes upside down. its just not natural.......

She wants the post 2 foot apart.. I think it will handle 3-4 dozen. lol

9 foot T's and milled at a real 2x4 and 7 lines 18 inch apart. Post 4x5 42 inch's in the ground. 140ft of cloths hanging! This will be for carharts Only! :coolsmirk: Oh maybe sleeping bags. Added an extra option with baby jet!

Oh I trim down the post from 6 to 5 inch it was easier to fit the whole.

Attachments

• zzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzz.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 313
any cement or any thing to keep the posts from leaning in to the weight over time ? My wife has been on me to build her a clothes line. :smirk:

woodsmaster said:
any cement or any thing to keep the posts from leaning in to the weight over time ? My wife has been on me to build her a clothes line. :smirk:

Down 42 inch's in the ground and over 12 full inch's of clay...All 7 lines wet and full doesn't budge, this thing is permanent! :cheese:

I love having a clothsline saves alot on your electric bill ,when you got three small kids, we are washing and drying all the time

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I love having a clothsline saves alot on your electric bill ,when you got three small kids, we are washing and drying all the time

It is as important as firewood. :) With this weather it is a lot faster to!

Last one I made I used cedar poles about the sizeof telephone poles with a couple cross trees.

The one we have now is a metal fold up thing that sits in a metal pipe in the ground can be folded up and brought inside.

I'd like a single line pulley on a tree going across the yard to a deck just outside the back door, but I don't have a deck.
Yet.

I didn't put it in, but we have a model T frame cut in half, front on one end back on the other, for our clothes line.
G/f says it's been there as long as she can remember.

Made a set for a friend out of 1 1/4 stainless pipe scraps from the mill a few years ago. I never saw someone get so excited over a few pieces of pipe welded together.

Panhandler said:
Made a set for a friend out of 1 1/4 stainless pipe scraps from the mill a few years ago. I never saw someone get so excited over a few pieces of pipe welded together.

LOL, Thats a nice set!

smokinjay said:
Panhandler said:

LOL, Thats a nice set!

I was making her a set every 5 years or so out of black pipe. She just happened to call when we were scrapping a large amount of pipe. Now the job should be done forever.

Panhandler said:
smokinjay said:
Panhandler said:

LOL, Thats a nice set!

I was making her a set every 5 years or so out of black pipe. She just happened to call when we were scrapping a large amount of pipe. Now the job should be done forever.

That is awesome....Bet it looks Great too! :coolsmile: My gf been after me for 6 months for a cloths line, what amazes me is the speed of the whole thing. (Lower electric bill helps to)

Status
Not open for further replies.