Mini exhaust help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saigon71

Feb 21, 2012
westernmass
The Mini shut off a couple of times, with the blinking lights, so I decided to clean the exhaust. I had burned about 3 ton, so it was time. I unbolted the flange, removed a bunch of heat tape and the pipe rotated to a straight position so I could run a brush through it to the outside. When I started the stove back up, house smells of smoke. There is a felt-like gasket that is somewhat the worse for wear. Do I silicone around flange? And then when I need to clean it again, do I just cut away silicone with a razor? Also, I used metal tape to seal back up, but it is not heat rated, this is a problem?

First that flange gasket is sheet Lyterm and you can get some and cut your own replacement gasket (which you should do) make certain you have a good supply of it on hand as those gasket are very easy to destroy.

That metal tape really should be a true flue tape as most other tapes or the adhesive can not be relied upon given the normal use plus possible out of specification usage you are making of it or could potentially subject it to.

Here is but one tape and source: http://www.amazon.com/3M-2113NA-Hig...Z4DS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332076865&sr=8-1

Ace Hardware and a number of other hardware store carry it or can order it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.