Minimizing Storage Turbulence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twofer

Jun 4, 2008
SLP Michigan
I'm getting everything around for the install of my EKO 40 and I got to thinking about storage turbulence. My system is going to be piped into a 500 gallon propane tank using nofossil's glorious "Simplest Pressurized Storage Solution". My question is what is everyone doing for to minimize turbulence for the hot connection at the top? Drilled out pipe?

See I thought there was a thread in the past about it but after searching and searching for it I've come up with nada.

Right now my storage consists of a 2" pipe sticking down into the tank with a 2" gatevalve on the end that is submerged underwater.... This valve allows me to close off the water pickup stalk and open the air vent at the top of the dip-tube, then purge then air out with the pump, close the air vent, then reopen the submerged valve. At that point, air can't get back in and my system will no lose prime. In the future, I intened to put a T on the bottom of the valve and run about 4 feet of pipe each way with small holes drilled along its length.........

But, a real good question is this, In my case, my bottom fitting is actually on the bottom all the way to one end....... Wonder what that does to stratification.

Gotta love old milk tanks! :)

Twofer

Search for a post of what I was planning to do...it was a synopsis of much I've read on the board about minimizing turbulence.

That said, the reality of life scaled back the plan. I drilled 3.5" holes and welded in 3" schedule 40 pipe on my two 500 gallon tanks. On one end the pipe goes in 6" and the other end it goes to within 4" of the bottom of the tank. I'll be feeding the 3" pipe with 1.5" and hope to have little turbulence.

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.