Minimum flue length for EPA rated stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

What is the shortest flue that will work correctly for a EPA rated stove (PE Summit) considering that it is a good working inside chimney?

It should be in your install manual. I believe it was 15' for my Oslo

You know its easy to get caught up in minimizing the costs of an install but the fact is your chimney is {more} important to your stoves operation than anything else. I recommend going a little farther than the minimum chimney height. You will be rewarded with a better operating stove especially when the weather does not cooperate. When theres lots of wind and you want to get that sucker started, when the temps are marginal and you need a little more draft. Also it is a big benefit in controlling back puffing. This is assuming you have all correct clearances.

snowtime said:
You know its easy to get caught up in minimizing the costs of an install but the fact is your chimney is {more} important to your stoves operation than anything else. I recommend going a little farther than the minimum chimney height. You will be rewarded with a better operating stove especially when the weather does not cooperate. When theres lots of wind and you want to get that sucker started, when the temps are marginal and you need a little more draft. Also it is a big benefit in controlling back puffing. This is assuming you have all correct clearances.
Not why I asked, my chimney is already in place and was wondering what the minimun required height was, not trying to minimize any of the costs if that was the case I would not be going with a PE Summit. My bad I should have stated that I have a 18 foot chimney and is that enough flue length for a PE Summit.

Yes, it's fine. 15' on average is what the stoves are tested with.

Status
Not open for further replies.