1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Minor LED bulb complaint

Post in 'The Green Room' started by peakbagger, Mar 8, 2014.

1. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I have a set of "string" lights that normally would be used for temporary lighting on construction sites in my garage. LEDs would be great due tot cold temps in the garage, but everyone I have bought are not compatible with the string lights as the base of the bulb necks out past the Edison base enough that the bulb will not screw in far enough to make contact. I have used screw in CFLs (which don't work very well in winter and currently have halogen bulbs but both Cree and Philips LEDs have the same issue.

The lights aren't let off for long periods so its not a crisis but it is annoying since I bought 4 leds to change out the halogens.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    Might be an easy fix for this. Shut off the power, take a screwdriver or pliers and pry up the center point contact in the bulb socket, turn the power back on, and the contact may be raised enough to make contact with the LED bulb. I had this issue when I replaced my refrig bulb with an LED, and issue was solved. Plus got brighter light and a lot less heat.
    woodgeek likes this.