Missing a part, do I need it?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billd123

Oct 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Maryland
purchased a used Quad Castile insert for a good price. But it is missing the Baffle. the plate below heat exchanger tubes.
The previous owner stated he removed it to get more heat on the tubes.

Do I need this baffle??

The previous owner was not the brightest candle in the church! ;-P That plate is there to channel the heat directly around the tubes on its way to the exhaust. Without it, a good part of your heat is going directly over to the exhaust without ever even hitting the tubes! Yes, you need it. Se if the 'expert' still has it sitting around. It's stainless so it won't be rusty.

No he does not have it, I asked him the same day I picked it up and then again a week later.

I wish there was a salvage yard for stoves so I can pick one up used :(

ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE I CAN GET ONE?

Billd123 said:
ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE I CAN GET ONE?

I doubt you'll find a used on unless you come across an old Castille on CL, or eBay.

Eric at Kinsman Stoves is a member on this forum, and also a Quad dealer & certified tech. Give him a call. He gives discounts to Hearth.com members, and is a GREAT guy!!

330-448-0300

Tell him MacMan said Hi!

If you can't find one anywhere, I'll be glad to pull mine out and make a drawing of it. Maybe someone can bend on for you. It's pretty thick though so it wouldn't be easy. Maybe fabricating one would be easier.

Thats a must have part. Sorry about your luck. Great stove. Will be even better when you get the baffle.

Thank you all for the great information, today I will be calling Eric at Kinsman stoves and I have e-mailed woodheatstoves, they say the part number 812-4770 does not exsist. They offered to contact the manufactor to find the correct part number so we shall see.

Pyro Extraordinaire, Thank you for the offer I am hoping to find one soon.

Eric is a good dealer with reasonable prices also. Getting the plate will not only slow the air so you can get more heat out of your init. It will prolong the life also. By installing the baffle plate, you protect the heat exchange tubes so they do not become warped. The heat exhange cleaning rods dont do that good of a job scraping the tubes (I still use them, but its best to get a small brush and clean them good at least weekly for best efficiency) but if the tubes become warped the cleaning rod will not work at all.

PM me Billd123. For some reason, I cannot use the 'Email' button on anyone's profile!

Billd123 said:
Thank you all for the great information, today I will be calling Eric at Kinsman stoves and I have e-mailed woodheatstoves, they say the part number 812-4770 does not exsist. They offered to contact the manufactor to find the correct part number so we shall see.

I think the correct part number is 413-0360

imacman said:
Billd123 said:

And try UK-30KPEL, which is in my Castile and Sante Fe Owner's Manuals that I downloaded. So many numbers for the same darn part!!!

It must be my lucky day, after extensive research and looking at some old threads on this great site I found that the correct replacement is UK-30KPEL. So I started my search and found prices online from $157 being the highest price to $88 the lowest. But before I ordered I said to myself call the local dealer just to check the price. I always call them last because they seem to overcharge for everything so I called and they said yes we have the part and it is $39 plus tax. For now on I will call the first.

I ran over and picked up the new kit immediatly installed it last night.

Thank you all for all your assistance this forum is just the best resource of information anywhere.

tjnamtiw said:
imacman said:
Billd123 said:

And try UK-30KPEL, which is in my Castile and Sante Fe Owner's Manuals that I downloaded. So many numbers for the same darn part!!!

It is even worse for stoves that are re branded.

Status
Not open for further replies.