1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Missing cutter tooth on my chain

Post in 'The Gear' started by iskiatomic, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    I was doing some cutting today and run into some ugly stuff. Chain, then was not spitting out clean chips.

Got home and put in the vise to sharpen and after about ten teeth I noticed one cutter tooth was gone.

I continued to sharpen the chain. Now I am thinking is this chain going to be "alright"?

My utmost concern is saftey. Should I just scrap this chain or keep it around for dirty work?

Thanks, KC

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Scrap it. Something is either fatigued or you whacked something good to knock a tooth off. Either way you look at it, it had some unusual abuse. At 18 bucks, it ain't worth the risk in my opinion.
  3. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    I've used old beat up chains like that for cutting down stumps and cutting up the bottom 6' or so of boundary trees that I suspect or knew had barbed wire in them. Wind knocks a tree over and and you want to cut off the roots to remove the stump ...that's a dirty job and OK for a less than perfect but still serviceable chain. Have an experienced cutter look over that chain and see what they say.
  4. Wacky1

Wacky1 New Member

Loc:
    Ripley WV
    I agree with Jags, junk it. If your luck is anything like mine, this is a warning that it is getting ready to come apart!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.