Modding your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edge-of-the-woods

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2014
Hamden, CT USA
Looking for some advice on making some modifications to our stove. We've got a Regency CI2600, and there are two mods that I have seen other owners do.

1. Get a reduction plate from Regency to slow down the main air intake
2. Take out the knockout plates on the sides to increase air flow around the stove

I'm pretty handy usually, but these involve pulling out the stove to accomplish. Is this something I can do myself, or should I ask the dealer to handle it? Should I expect them to do it without charge, since the stove isn't burning as advertised?

Also, while I have the stove out, should I stuff some rockwool insulation up in the chimney? The installer didn't put in a block-off plate or insulation. Any advice on brand to get? Probably going to HD for it.

Thanks in advance!

My advice . . . before modding a stove I would a) run it for a fair amount of time to see if any mods are even needed and b) be sure to only mod a stove after the warrantee has run out.

That says . . . it appears as though the modifications you are talking about are relatively benign and in may in fact even be endorsed by Regency if they offer a restriction plate.

Thanks Jake! These are mods suggested or recommended by the manufacturer in another thread:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-ci2600-fireplace-insert-risky-costly.132252/

I think the main thing I am nervous about is dragging the stove out of the hearth opening in order to tinker with it. I'm also thinking of putting in a block-off plate, and my worry is that by pulling the stove out, I might dislodge the liner from either the cap on the chimney, or from the stove itself. Also, scraping up the stone in front of my stove, since this thing is heavy as hell with all the bricks in.

Reactions: firefighterjake
You can protect the hearth by putting down a sheet of metal or plywood. I like metal because the insert should slide easier on it.

You'll have to disconnect the liner from the stove before pulling the stove out, no way around that.
You may be able to pull the screws from the adapter or liner at the stove outlet and then slide the stove out from underneath.
That is what I did when I swapped inserts.

A block off plate is a must. Do that, and you may find you don't need the mods.
Restricting airflow may lead to smoldering. I agree to get a few years under your belt with the stove, prior to considering the mods.

Thanks! The restrictor plate comes direct from the manufacturer. It's a new stove model and they don't seem to have worked out all the kinks yet. I've burned it six ways to Sunday, and the hottest the room the stove is in gets is 68-70 degrees...and that's in a 1500sf ranch.

I found this thread, and this definitely looks within my capabilities:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/poor-mans-block-off-plate-ii.73018/

Still not sure how to get the dang stove out, though. The faceplate is in front of the surround and neither seems like an easy removal. I'll have to read the installation manual to puzzle it out.

If the parts come from the manufacturer to correct a design defect it's not really modding it.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.