Modern / Contemporary Stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mada

Jan 3, 2011
Northeast
Considering a Jotul F 370. The price I'm getting from the dealer is about 3300. Then the install and parts. I'd imagine I'll be into this for about 5k when it's all wrapped up.

Before I drop that kind of dough, I was hoping to get some advice on other contemporary wood stoves. My house is modern design and want to stay in this price range or less (so wittus won't do -- weep weep)

I have to keep with the aesthetic of the house with the contemporary design, so that limits my options for sure.

I'm ok with 70-75% efficiency - it won't be used as a stand alone heating system for the room it's going into.

Thanks in advance for any help!

We had trouble finding a modern looking stove also. We eventually found a Scan A-10 off Craigslist. It seems to me that most American stove companies don't have anything but traditional style stoves. Englander has the 17 and Blaze king has the Chinook. You will find that most of the European style stoves have a small firebox, I'm not sure about the Chinook. The Scan works great, we don't heat the whole house with it, only use it as supplemental heat. I love the large glass front, you get a great view of the fire. Good luck keep us informed on what you find, I like seeing what's out there.

Attachments

• Modern / Contemporary Stove options
    bike 2010 and stove 001.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,042
Morso makes some really nice looking stoves too.
http://www.morsona.com/
I personally love the look of the 7110, but there are a whole bunch of contemporary styles and some that are also a little more traditional.

mada said:
Considering a Jotul F 370. The price I'm getting from the dealer is about 3300. Then the install and parts. I'd imagine I'll be into this for about 5k when it's all wrapped up.

Before I drop that kind of dough, I was hoping to get some advice on other contemporary wood stoves. My house is modern design and want to stay in this price range or less (so wittus won't do -- weep weep)

I have to keep with the aesthetic of the house with the contemporary design, so that limits my options for sure.

I'm ok with 70-75% efficiency - it won't be used as a stand alone heating system for the room it's going into.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mada, it would help others if they knew the size home you are trying to heat. For instance, I might tell you a Woodstock Fireview is great (which it certainly is) but you might be more in need of the new Progress which will heat a lot more space.

Also, if you are about ready to install a new stove, what have you done for fuel? Buying wood is nothing like buying gas or oil. It needs time to dry, even if you buy wood that is so-called seasoned. Most wood sellers do not have dry wood.

Jaugust124 said:
Check out these stoves. Don't know much of anything about them, but they have the modern look.
http://www.wittus.com

I think they've already looked into this line . . . based on their original post mentioning the cost of the Wittus stoves.

Regency Alterra or PE Fusion. I'm not a big fan of the Fusion's looks, but I've seen the Alterra in person and it's very nice. Same firebox as the Regency freestanders, so they are good stoves. PE is a Super 27 firebox, which has a very large following here.

I really like the look of the Chinook. Especially with the rounded sides. That is what is was looking for until I got a great price on the King. I guess it depends on what you want. The Chinook is very similar to the Princess in size and heating capabilities, and should be a competent 24/7 heater. For ambience, you can get what you want to look at. I think modern stoves are pretty cool, but my house can go either way.

firefighterjake said:
Jaugust124 said:
Check out these stoves. Don't know much of anything about them, but they have the modern look.

I think they've already looked into this line . . . based on their original post mentioning the cost of the Wittus stoves.

Missed that part. I guess I read a bit too fast at times.

Jaugust124 said:
firefighterjake said:
Jaugust124 said:

Missed that part. I guess I read a bit too fast at times.

Hehheh . . . I do that all the time . . . all the time. No worries.

Hase Bari, Hearthstone Tula, Rais, Nestor Martin are all lines worth checking into. The caveat being smaller fireboxes than we are used to here. Try to get one that can at least comfortably burn 16" wood.

In US/Canada made there is the Regency Altera line, Blaze King Chinook, Pacific Energy Fusion. These are less designer pieces and more adaptations of traditional boxes.

Good looking stove. Good luck with it. How about posting some true to life burn times and heating ability. A few pic's never hurt either. If you have the time.

Jaugust124 said:
Good looking stove. Good luck with it. How about posting some true to life burn times and heating ability. A few pic's never hurt either. If you have the time.

Thanks! I'm actually working up to a thread on the stove but I'm in the middle of priming and painting that room so it will be a bit. Stay Tuned! So far I'm incredibly impressed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.