Moisture content poll.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How dry do you think wood needs to be for best results?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
Jags said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Whoa Jags.

Dennis - gotta read the whole post for it to be in context.

"Will wood sitting outside get to this point? Doubt it."

I did Jags. Just wanted to point out something else. Did you check the "Denniswood" that was used at Woodstock?

The thread? Yeah, I did.

Jags said:
Got Wood said:
Intellectually, the lower the better.

Just for sake of argument - wood CAN be too dry. There is a reason that your owners manual states what it does for MC%. Will wood sitting outside get to this point? Doubt it.

Too dry of wood will actually cause a DIRTY burn, believe it or not. The problem is that it outgasses at a rate that the tubes/cat can't keep up with burning it all up. Then out the stack it goes. That is where people run into problems with using too much kiln dried lumber in their stoves. Overfires and smokey stacks can result.

Again - this is just for arguments sake and in no way am I confusing this with air dried cord wood.

+1 people always look at me like I'm crazy when I say this, yes wood can be too dry, not to dry to burn, but too dry to burn clean. Wood that is too dry will dirty your flue just like wood that is too wet. The difference is that too dry wood will at least keep you warm while it is fouling your chimney. However, where I live, wood will probably rot before it gets that dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.