Moisture meter mmd4e accuracy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robj80

Burning Hunk
Oct 5, 2018
South West, CT
So I grabbed one of these the other day for $22 at Lowes. If anyone wants it that cheap then go to lowes and have them price match Home Depot. HD doesn't carry them in store around here but Lowes does and they will honor the price.

Now I'm not sure how accurate this thing is. I seem to be trying to burn really wet wood despite the meter telling me it isn't. I know to split the wood and check the inside and not to check when the wood is cold. But I did this and I was still getting low heat, hissing and wet wood ends when burning. I did do the soap and blow method and even got some bubbles coming out but it seemed they were more toward the outside of the split then the insides. Meaning the inside is not dry enough. Below is example of some numbers I was seeing. This was tested outside and temp was about 50 degrees (maybe too cold?)

Ends 11-15%
Middle 15-17%
Fresh split middle 18-22%

This was white ash that fell in May, cut in May, split in September. The Ash might have been already dying when it stood because of the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle was feasting on it. I realize 22% is over the recommended 20% but it's pretty close and a lot of sites say up to 25% is seasoned. I had the wood stacked in a single row with top cover only and off the ground. I have since removed the cover all together hoping the sun would speed this along. We had a drizzle one day but no downpours. I will cover it again before the soaking rain we are suppose to get this weekend.

So for anyone that has the MMD4E at what moisture content are you getting really good burning with your wood? If it matters this is in an open fireplace. I am not an owner of an insert . . . yet.

Ends 11-15%
Middle 15-17%

If those numbers were accurate the wood would be ok to burn and you would not get any hissing. Also, I would be surprised if it were that dry if it was only split in September (last month). Cut and split some unseasoned wood and see what the meter reads on that.

Ends 11-15%
Middle 15-17%

If those numbers were accurate the wood would be ok to burn and you would not get any hissing. Also, I would be surprised if it were that dry if it was only split in September (last month). Cut and split some unseasoned wood and see what the meter reads on that.

Not all my wood is that dry. Seems the parts that were higher up on the tree are the dry ones (according to the meter). I was outside with my wood pile for a while testing a whole bunch and bringing in only the ones that had the readings shown above. Even the rounds on the ground when I split and test nothing goes over 29%. I never got a reading in the 30% range yet with this tree. I did get some red oak the other day. Now that is some wood that is showing over 30% when tested! I know White Ash has a lower moisture content and seasons quicker than oak. I'm not in a rush to burn any of this so I don't mind waiting.