Moisture meter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chris

Aug 6, 2010
West Chester PA.
After spending alot of time reading this board I ordered a cheapo MM from harbor freight. My question is, what reading am I looking for? I will b testing red oak & white ash. What # is usable & what is ideal?
Thank you

Ideally 20 percent or lower. Something in the mid 20s is acceptable but the lower the better. I just posted a picture of the Harbor freight moister meter in another posting and I think I will start another one about an Oak that was really low right out of the woods.

And remember to split your split and take the reading from the freshly split side. Just for reference I burnt some wood last year that read about 27% and it burnt after the water boiled out of the ends.That was one year drying oak.

Big Chris said:
One more question: can I just cut a piece in half with my chainsaw? Reason for asking is my splitter is @ my shop a few miles from
Home.
The main reason for re-splitting the wood is to get to an area that didn't have the sun and air to it. That way you will find out how far the drying part got inside the wood.

I would think you can cut a piece and then stick your meter in the fresh part and tell if its any different.

Shipper

even if you just use an axe or hatchet you should be able to resplit some splits. I don't have a log splitter and either use a maul, Fiskars, or hatchet. With a hatchet you swing once to sink it in, then lift the log with the hatchet and hit it down on the concrete or hard ground. Unless it is really tough wood it should split on a couple of wacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.