Moisture Meter Recommendation Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm new to wood burning and my stash of well dried wood is running down. I've got a shed loaded with ten cords of recently cut and split Doug fir but it's just been drying a few months. I'm wondering what moisture meter to get. They seem to range in price from $20 up to several hundred. I can't imagine how there could be such a huge range. I just need something that will get the job done.

Harbor Freight has a simple one for ~$20 bucks. Not sure how accurate it really is but fresh cut wood is usually OOR while my 2 year ash measures between 15% and 18%; hence I assume the numbers are in the right ballpark. A few % more or less won't matter much anyway. No reason to get a woodworker-grade one for firewood.

Reactions: Seanm
Here's an inexpensive model with a good reputation. I think it's sometimes available through Home Depot or Lowe's.

The standard recommendation is that firewood be at or below 20%. If you have no choice you can push that by a few percent, but it won't be any fun if you get into the upper 20's. To get a meaningful reading you'll need to re-split a piece so you can do the check on a freshly exposed interior surface, because surfaces that have been exposed for a while tend to be much drier than the interior. Electronic meters are inherently inaccurate at moisture contents above roughly 28%, so meters with scales that go higher (some read up to 65%) are only making the roughest of guesses.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I got a Sonin Unit, Seems to be consistent.

SONIN

Price is a little higher but can be had off ebay for cheap.

I got this one from Lowe's. Seems to work good. It think it was on sale for $25 when I got it.
ymunudat.jpg

+1 on the General. Seems to work fine. $29 when I bought.

Another vote for the General from Lowes. I use it and it seems accurate enough for firewood purposes.

I like the above digital read from General. I got the same mfr but with led light display for $22 from Ace.

Cool. Thanks for the recs.

One last question. What do I do if my dry wood pile (under half a cord at this point) runs out and the ten cords of Doug fir isn't dry yet? Am I back to running electric space heaters until the fir is ready?

Am I back to running electric space heaters until the fir is ready?
You can augment wet wood with pallets or 2by lumber scraps (non pressure treated) or ecobricks / equivalent. Check chimney for creosote more often if burning wet wood.

We conducted a review of moisture meters (voluntarily) for the EPA and state regulators. Here is a pdf file with our review. This may help.

Attachments

• Moisture Meters Review.pdf
    986.2 KB · Views: 526
Thanks Doug; very helpful.

BKVP, thanks. Based on that and what others have said, I'll pick up the General. Seems like good bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.