Moisture meter recommendation please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
looking to finally make a purchase am would like some input as to what folks find useful and bang for the buck. Thanks in advance!

$30 bucks, lowes, general......seems to be very accurate for me....

The grey and yellow one at Lowes. General I think. Reasonably priced and very reliable. You can also knock pieces together for that pleasant ping sound:)

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I've been using a General for about 3 years and seems to work fine. No problems.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Is the sale at lowes over? They may be 20 bucks instead of 30 if you get it before end of day tomorrow at lowes

I got the General brand one from Lowe's and it seems pretty accurate. Haven't had any issues with it yet.

$20 to $30 I think is fine. I used the heck out of mine the first year.

Now I know when the splits start shifting in my stacks I am to about the fiber saturation point, ~30%. Until then I don't bother with the meter because I know everything is >30%.

The hard part for me is leaving the tool in the garage when I am out by stacks on the hot sunny days.

With a couple seasons of experience, ehh, I could probably do without out it and guess pretty good, but all I have to test up here is birch and spruce. If I were to move to the lower 48 I would have to start all over again learning new species.

$20 to $30 I think is fine. I used the heck out of mine the first year.

Now I know when the splits start shifting in my stacks I am to about the fiber saturation point, ~30%. Until then I don't bother with the meter because I know everything is >30%.

The hard part for me is leaving the tool in the garage when I am out by stacks on the hot sunny days.

With a couple seasons of experience, ehh, I could probably do without out it and guess pretty good, but all I have to test up here is birch and spruce. If I were to move to the lower 48 I would have to start all over again learning new species.

What's the fiber saturation point? And how badly do your stacks shift? I just finished building a stack of shagbark hickory which after I was done I realized was somewhat on a slope. A shift in the wrong direction may start a topple in a year or so. What would you say is the percentage of shrinkage (length and width) of splits from green to seasoned?

What's the fiber saturation point? And how badly do your stacks shift? I just finished building a stack of shagbark hickory which after I was done I realized was somewhat on a slope. A shift in the wrong direction may start a topple in a year or so. What would you say is the percentage of shrinkage (length and width) of splits from green to seasoned?

The foresters up here generally say 18% "radially and tangentially" when talking about spruce and birch. Above the fiber saturation point you got water coming out of the through and through tubes, the wood doesn't change shape. Takes about two weeks up here (when we are getting 16 hours of sunlight daily).

After the water is out of the tubes, you are at fiber saturation point; as more water comes out the individual cells are drying and splitting open and changing shape of the split. That's where the stack gets to moving, generally at about 30% MC for most species.

Mine shift pretty bad once they get to moving, and I got a bunch of twisty splits this winter, so my pile will probably be moving a lot next summer...

The foresters up here generally say 18% "radially and tangentially" when talking about spruce and birch. Above the fiber saturation point you got water coming out of the through and through tubes, the wood doesn't change shape. Takes about two weeks up here (when we are getting 16 hours of sunlight daily).

After the water is out of the tubes, you are at fiber saturation point; as more water comes out the individual cells are drying and splitting open and changing shape of the split. That's where the stack gets to moving, generally at about 30% MC for most species.

Mine shift pretty bad once they get to moving, and I got a bunch of twisty splits this winter, so my pile will probably be moving a lot next summer...

Very informative thanks! It would be interesting to see a time lapse video of how a stack moves around throughout the process. Some may equate it to watching paint dry, but morbid curiousity has me thinking...
So splits won't loose any in the length at all then? Or only marginally which would hardly register.

Very informative thanks! It would be interesting to see a time lapse video of how a stack moves around throughout the process. Some may equate it to watching paint dry, but morbid curiousity has me thinking...
So splits won't loose any in the length at all then? Or only marginally which would hardly register.

That's what they say. My 16" long splits are pretty much 16" long after seasoning. I cut them with a chainsaw and don't measure to the nearest 1/64" when cutting them, but they seem to stay "about" the same length.

I do see it in vertical height on my stack. I think "radially and tangentially" would be like taking a thin strip off the edge of a slice of pie. The left over on the plate still looks like a slice of pie, but if you measure carefully it will have a little bit fewer degrees of the original circumference of the pie on the new outside edge, the distance from round surface to tip of slice will be a little less.

One thing I tried last year was to stack higher than 4 feet by 18%, expecting when the wood got to 20%MC it should have shrunk 18% and thus my stack would shrink to 4 feet tall. Worked pretty good actually. Saved a little wear and tear on the MM using my tape measure instead.

I saw a $20 moisture meter at Lowes today, but online reviews of that model were very poor and it was the only one they had with pins. It also looked like the pins were out the back and not out the top. The pins were barely about 1/4" long.They did have one without pins but I didn't think that would work well. Any other meter suggestions besides the one at Lowes?

I saw a $20 moisture meter at Lowes today, but online reviews of that model were very poor and it was the only one they had with pins. It also looked like the pins were out the back and not out the top. The pins were barely about 1/4" long.They did have one without pins but I didn't think that would work well. Any other meter suggestions besides the one at Lowes?

It wasn't the general meter that a lot of people on here recommend then.

It wasn't the general meter that a lot of people on here recommend then.
It was a General meter, but you are correct, it was not the one that folks here recommend. The Lowes.com web site shows they have the recommended model at my local store, but I was told they no longer carry that model. The local Lowes is a smaller store, I will check at a larger Lowes and see if they have it.

I have the Harbor Fright meter. Actually, I think I have HF meter # 2, last one having died after a few years. And yes, batteries are a pain to find. Harbor Fright (in my area, anyway) only sells them as part of a set, the rest of which I have no use for. And anything over 30% is "overload" but that tells me what I need to know. Nice thing about sunny SoCalif is that most split wood seasons in one year or less. Ash will often be at 10 to 15% after one year, and other unknown woods even lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.