1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Moisture Meter

Post in 'The Gear' started by USMC80, Mar 28, 2013.

1. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Looking for recommendations on a reliable meter. Seen some pretty expensive ones out there but unsure what to get. Looking to spend between 20-40 dollars. Are there decent ones out there for that price?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Member

Loc:
    Canastota NY
  3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I have the HF MM, but I have no idea how accurate is. It appears to be directionally correct (drier wood measure lower than wetter wood). I guess I could oven dry some wood and calculate the accuracy, but I don't have the time or inclination to do so....or a precision scale.

Unless I wanted to check the wood I was buying for moisture content (to make sure the "seasoned" wood I bought was seasoned), I wouldn't buy a MM if I had to do it over again. Time c/s/s is a much better indicator than a digital meter.
  4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I have a harbor freight model and it is decent though I don't use it much. I changed the batteries to Duracell if I remember right and that did read quite a bit different than the chepos it came with. It got tested next to my buddies $80 moisture meter and it was within 2% difference after the battery swap before it was around a 6% difference. Not bad for 12 bucks.

Pete
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

6. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    In appreciation of your past or present service, I'd be willing to send you mine free of charge (I'll have to look tonight for the brand), I have no use for it.
    Pallet Pete, Valhalla, lukem and 4 others like this.
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    That's very cool of you. What kind of past/current service do I need to have to get the 372 shipped to me?:p
  8. USMC80

USMC80 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Wow that is a incredible gesture sir!

Surely someone else will be in need though as I have just ordered a cheapy off of amazon

thanks again!
    Valhalla and Pallet Pete like this.
  9. Valhalla

Valhalla Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Essex County, New York
    Using a General MM1E that I picked up at a local country hardware store.
    It proves that my seasoned splits are dry and all else needs to stay in the shed.

While not quite a MIL spec tool, it gets the job done and for a fair price.
  10. oldspark

oldspark Guest

My harbor freight one has always agreed with my thoughts on how wet the wood should be, so very happy with it but I do not use it that often just for fun.