1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Moisture Meter

Post in 'The Gear' started by Marcus, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Can anyone reccomend a good firewood moisture meter?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bruce56bb

bruce56bb Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Flint Hills of Kansas
  3. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks. I must have missed that post.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I was keeping quiet. Harbor hasn't sent me any commission checks yet.
  5. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Now I'm screwed. I just found there is a harbor freight near me.
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Oh, do I know what you are saying. I stopped in to pick up a moister meter for myself and $112 later walked out. You don't realize just how bad you need that stuff until its right under your nose.

I do have to admit, the hand held temp gauge is really cool though.

BroBart, I may not be the spokesmen for them that you are, but man, it seems that I have enough of their toys. :cheese:
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Worst thing that ever happened is when they opened a store nine miles from me. The closest previously was 99 miles away. I would only go in when I was in that area. Now I am in the damn place so much the manager brings me a cart when I come in and the cashiers know me by name.

I wouldn't put any of their stuff through heavy duty industrial use but for the occasional use I give things like the trailer bed crane, liftgate on the Suburban and on and on they are the best thing going. I would rather buy American made but ya just can't find it most of the time anyway.

A funny note is that the assistant manager at the HF store worked at the stove store when I bought the Sierra over twenty years ago.
  8. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I'm now the proud owner of a moisture meter and laser thermometer from harbor freight. The only thing that saved me was I had to get to some other stores before they closed.
  9. BigV

BigV Member

Loc:
    Akron, OH
    You guys are killing me!!
    I just got back from a trip to Harbor Freight and picked up the moisture meter that was on sale for $ 19.99. Then I started looking at infrared thermometers and only saw 3, but the range on the best one was only up to 475 F degrees.
    Then I found another one locked in a cabinet that measured all the way up to 1112 degrees F. It had a nice 16” long flexible articulating shaft and it looked pretty cool as well. It was a mere $69.99 so I got that too. Then as soon as I got home, I added some fresh splits to my stove and let her burn with the door wide open for about 10 minutes just so I could see how hot that baby would get. 575 degree stove top before I had to close the door and damper her back down.
    Please don’t tell the wife…
  10. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I got the one that says it only reads up to 475 F, but when I fire it right into the firebox I have gotten readings up to 850 degrees.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.