Moisture Meters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
Can someone recommend a good, cheap moisture meter that they have used?

Take two pieces of split wood, knock them together. If the sound is a dull thud it's wet. A nice ring like ? sound is perfect to burn. Try it on two pieces that you know are dry and you will never forget the sound. Life is simple, sometimes. :coolsmile:

I have bought the same meter, and it works great! No regrets!

I think most of the less expensive moisture meters will work OK for firewood. If I was testing lumber for cabinet making I'd want something more accurate.

I bought the Sonin 50211 Rapitest from Amazon. It does an acceptable job in my opinion, and wasn't terribly expensive.

Josh

Thanks. I just ordered one from ebay.

What do you guys find is the cut off point for good burning wood - 20%?

woodjack,

The one gotcha with these meters is that they may skew slightly depending on the type of wood you are testing as they are only calibrated on one specific type. This year, the seasoned oak I was burning, which burned great, came up anywhere btwn 18-22% on the meter. My oak for next year that I just got is roughly 10% above that. And the pine I just cut comes in at about 35% just under the max. Oh and some borderline maple I was burning was about 25%, so from my experiences so far, under 20 is where you want to be, but I'm fairly new at using this thing so please take with a grain of salt....

I bought the same meter on ebay last fall. Seems to read good. My only issue is that the prongs are difficult to push in and have a tendency to bend. Be careful pushing them in and you'll be satisfied.

An easy way to preserve the prongs: I have a small nail and hammer that I keep near my wood pile. If a piece is questionable I use the nail to get some depth into the wood before I insert the prongs. It's quick and easy to do.

Good idea, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.