Montpelier Wood Stove Not Getting Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMcGuth

Feb 1, 2011
Eastern PA
I have a VC Montpelier and it stopped working and just smokes. It appears to be not getting air. When I asked the dealer he said I may have moved the fiber baffle board out of position. Does anyone know where it should be? All the way back, all the way forward, or in the middle?

Usually it's all the way back. How long have you been burning in the stove? Was there any change in the wood?

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Thanks and no change in wood. Getting the gloves on now and pushing it back. Have a lame fire going now that is only alive due to cracking door!

Not to sound stupid, but I am not sure what you are referring to? I have screens at the top of the chimneys on both the fireplace and the boiler. As for other screens not sure? I do appreciate any help. I have a fire going but now but only cooks when the door is cracked. I have moved the baffle all over and nothing seems to change.

Very often problems like this come down to poor draft or poor wood. How tall is the flue on the insert? Is there a liner attached?

Tell us about the wood. When was it split, how was it stored, was its moisture checked?

Lazy Lightning said:
Not to sound stupid, but I am not sure what you are referring to? I have screens at the top of the chimneys on both the fireplace and the boiler. As for other screens not sure? I do appreciate any help. I have a fire going but now but only cooks when the door is cracked. I have moved the baffle all over and nothing seems to change.

The screen would be at the top of your chimney. It may be becoming plugged. Whether your wood is seasoned or not or you have been burning cleanly, that mesh type screen (if you have one) can become plugged enough to affect your draft. Have a peek.
I suggest you try and answer BeGreens questions also. This all helps.

does it smoke back when you leave the door cracked? if so, the cap may be plugged up... Otherwise, take this bit of advice... many new users to this stove don't get it up to high enough operating temp, and the fire peters out. Leave the door cracked with a good charge of kidndling and small splits. let it run as hard and fast as it wants for about 15 minutes before closing the door. Then, leave air wide open till it's all fallen into a nice base of coals. Reload and leave control open for about another 10 minutes before adjusting the air control to achieve desired rate of burn. Getting this thig hot initially is the key to it's success.

Found the problem, clogged screen at top of chimney. Removed completely and running without one for rest of season maybe forever. The insert now burns better than it ever has!!! Turns out my installer took a shortcut and basically used small chicken wire and hose clamp so the holes clogged. I learned now that if I want to run with a screen I have to be prepared to keep just the big animals out.

PS - Thanks everyone for your helpful comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.