more questions about heating water on a wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And, I re-read some again - how much pressure is in this system? Don't think I saw that mentioned either - might have missed it though.
Actually I don't think I mentioned pressure. When I first flushed, filled and purged the system of air I let the pressure build up to around 20 psi. When I first filled it I let my shop water run and while I was over at the manifold adjusting the flow meters and getting the last bit of air out of the system I shut the purge valve off and by the time I got back in the boiler room the pressure valve on the stove top had blown off and was dumping water. I shut the water off and let the pressure bleed off. It dropped to around 25 psi before it stopped leaking and I opened the drain valve on the bottom of the storage tank and let it drop off to 20 psi. I started the pump and let it run for a day to be sure I didn't have any leaks and by then it had dropped off to around 15 psi so I guess there was still some air in the system that finally left the system through my 4 air valves that I have throughout the piping.

I fired the stove with a good hot fire and within about 20 minutes I had warm water going into the storage tank. I thru in some more wood and opened the draft up and kept it going good and hot for about an hour and by then I could feel hot water going up and out of the supply line going over to the expansion tank. I then turned on the pump and went over to the manifold to see how long it took for hot water to reach that point and it seemed to take longer than I thought it should.....I guess about 20 minutes or so. I had hot water going into the slab but there was no indication of flow through the flow meters. There had to be some I guess because it was at least putting hot water in to the slab. By now I had really hot water at the manifold 150+ and I let the stove calm down and cool off a little. I ran it a couple days like this and where the slab temp had come up a few degrees to me it just didn't seem like it was getting enough flow.

That's when I started this thread to ask more questions about what I might do next to improve the system. A day or two later it warmed up a little and I decided to move the pump over to the manifold side to see if I could get better flow. Right away I could see that the flow meters were all showing that water was flowing through the loops. I also noticed that now if I kept the stove going at the same level as before the move the water temps at the manifold was not as hot but still a little too warm around 130 degrees. I had heard that you shouldn't dump much over 100 degree water into the slab and that is why I was thinking I would try a mixing valve to temper the return water a little with hopes it would cool the water going into the slab and also keep the water temp up in the storage tank a little higher. I don't know, that's just my way of thinking with no real basics of factual reason that this would really work.

Oh and another thing, with the pump in the old location The system was running at 15 psi. After I moved the pump over to the manifold the pressure of the system settled in at just over 10 psi and has stayed that way since I moved the pump. I don't know if that's good or bad but that is where I am at the present time. Actually I am pretty pleased with how this thing will put heat in the water for no more than it is but it would be nice if I could make it a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.