Morning commute scrounge and wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
So as im driving to work to my office desk job, I am about half a mile from the office and see a decent pile of cut up rounds with a free sign on them. at first glance it looks like possibly black locust, but my wood ID is not that good.

Reguardless I blew a U-turn and loaded my truck up in my work clothes. truck is now sitting low, hate to leave it like that all day at work, may go home at lunch and unload it and get the rest of the wood I couldnt fit, if its still there on..

So can anyone identify the wood? 20121026_081431.jpg20121026_081447.jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I'm not very good at wood id's but it looks like maple to me

fairly certain it isnt maple, could definitly be black walnut, how does that stuff burn?

It wasnt a very good smelling wood if that helps the ID

any more guesses on the id?

Nice scrounge
Color & sap wood looks like walnut
the bark don't look quit right, but may just be where it grew.

It's BTUs :)

Reactions: ColdNH
Camphor, walnut smells good

Sassafras is in the same family, and grows in NH, but has a sweet smell. See if you can find a leaf if you return.
Edit: Elm has a putrid odor according to Google research. It looks like elm pics on Google also.

Not sure? You dont have walnut in NH? I dont think its dark enough to be walnut, there really black looking thats redder. ITS NOT maple. Hard to tell all cut up. Wont hurt your truck to stay loaded for a day, heck i sometimes leave my ranger loaded for days!! Dont reccomend it but i do it, im lazy. It was worn when i got it about 10 years or so ago, but at 22years old it still does ok for its age!

Some type of Elm is what im thinking after close inspection, but i just dont see much of anything other than American elm so those red elms you talk about are pretty foreign to me?

One of those pesky elm trees. Siberian elm perhaps. I've split it green & it wasn't bad. Decent shoulder season wood.
The dead red elm with no bark is the best.

My vote is locust. The heartwood is dark but could be because of moisture .

Looks like stumper. It was also heavy as helI to lift into the truck. comparable to fresh red oak.

reminds me of osage but i've never heard of it growing in NH.

Right away I thought red elm but we don't have that here so only going by pictures. No matter what, it should be good firewood and good for you for getting it.

Somehow I was picturing you getting that wood in your work clothes and remembering the time I stopped for some lath that someone had thrown out. I was wearing suit and tie at the time. Wonder what the neighbors thought?

Well I found a leaf stuck to one of the rounds and I am about 95% sure its Red Elm. Stuff splits real easily too but it is loaded with moisture.

As I was unloading the truck I was surprised at how fast I managed to load the truck this morning with the size and wieght of some of the rounds.

siberian Elm

The reddish dark heartwood looks like Red Elm or Mulberry to me. The bark could be either one. I'll guess Mulberry but I don't see anything that rules out Red Elm or makes me sure it is mulberry. I guess it could be Osage Orange, too. I do not think it is Walnut because it isn't black enough, and is too red. definitely not maple.

Leaves would be nice ....could be a bur oak , black gum , does look like elm too. Dont hink its a mullberry..those are very yellowish inside Wood Duck.

It's an elm for sure. I believe it may be Siberian as the bark does not look like Red Elm.

Right away I thought red elm but we don't have that here so only going by pictures. No matter what, it should be good firewood and good for you for getting it.

Somehow I was picturing you getting that wood in your work clothes and remembering the time I stopped for some lath that someone had thrown out. I was wearing suit and tie at the time. Wonder what the neighbors thought?

Hey Savage, Red Elm is native to Lower Michigan. It took me a while but I have alot of it in my home as furniture and cabinets, etc. Saved every piece of decent grade lumber i cut. Still have quite a bit saved and stashed on stickers!

Status
Not open for further replies.