Morrels - when ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
Any experts willing to share their wisdom on these tasty little fellows ?
timing ?
locating ?
cooking ?
thanks
rn

When it comes "that" time, I keep an eye on this site: http://morelmushroomhunting.com/morel_progression_sightings_map.htm

It ain't perfect, but gets you in the time frame of when to start looking (view the most current map at the bottom of the site).

The old rule of thumb is that they will always be there on Mothers day. It may start two or three weeks earlier or last a couple of weeks after, but Mothers day is an old timers guarantee. I expect to start seeing some fairly soon around me.

Now - as far as eating.....oh boy, I could go off on that one.

Oh - and if you find yourself with a large harvest, keep in mind that morels dehydrate VERY well. Upon use, soak them in a little warm water for a short time and use as though fresh.

EDIT: yep - the map has just been updated and it appears that the little greys are starting to pop around my area. Next will be the tiny blacks then the tan colored big boys.

Oooh.....and fairly new to me is a fall mushroom called "hen of the woods". You may want to use your googlefoo and do a little research on that one. Very tasty.

I usually start actively looking for them here about Mother's Day too. When we start to get the warmer rains in May they'll start popping up. First they are pretty close the the tree trunks, but then by Memorial day they will start showing up anywhere in the woods, away from the tree trunks. Maybe the ground is warmer first around the trees?

Hey nut I've been finding them here in NW Ohio for about the last two weeks. We had some nice warm weather along with the rain. Found about eighty so far. They say that you can find them under dead ash and elm's pretty easy but i find them all over. In the grass also. I just like dipping mine in a beaten egg then roll them in flour, salt, and pepper then frying them up. MMM HMM

The stand of pines that acts as our windbreak
is also home to our morrel patch and mushroom logs.
Yes, the finer things in life....

Status
Not open for further replies.