Morso 6170 wood-burning wall stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Islander2

Nov 27, 2015
BC
Howdie - new to the forum which looks great! I'm interested in putting a Morso 6170 on the wall of an old garage now renovated into a lovely light-filled studio (650ft2). The wall behind the stove is gyprock and I have a vertical double wall chimney connector professionally installed and ready to connect. What type of wall prep behind the stove is required if any? The manual states:
pg.8 - 'Must be installed on a non-combustible wall'
pg.9 - 'When the stove is positioned near combustible materials, observe all current local and national building regulations with regards to clearance". The table provided in the manual lists: Canadian Standard Residential Installation (Doublewall Connector), Backwall to Unit = 2"

The steel bracket upon which the stove hangs gives the stove ~2" from the back wall. The bracket is screwed into the extra headers put behind the gyprock, so strength is there. Can I go ahead and hang the stove or do I need a layer of non-combustible?

http://www.morsona.com/Files//Files/PDF/Manuals USA/72611800-6170-NA.pdf (Pg.8 and 9)

I have emails and calls out to Morso and our Canadian supplier. I have statements from a staff person at local stove retail store, our local stove installer (who has never put one in before), the building inspector and my very worthy builders. Many differing views and ideas. Appreciate any words of wisdom from someone who has installed this stove - without burning down their house :)

Howdie - new to the forum which looks great! I'm interested in putting a Morso 6170 on the wall of an old garage now renovated into a lovely light-filled studio (650ft2). The wall behind the stove is gyprock and I have a vertical double wall chimney connector professionally installed and ready to connect. What type of wall prep behind the stove is required if any? The manual states:
pg.8 - 'Must be installed on a non-combustible wall'
pg.9 - 'When the stove is positioned near combustible materials, observe all current local and national building regulations with regards to clearance". The table provided in the manual lists: Canadian Standard Residential Installation (Doublewall Connector), Backwall to Unit = 2"

The steel bracket upon which the stove hangs gives the stove ~2" from the back wall. The bracket is screwed into the extra headers put behind the gyprock, so strength is there. Can I go ahead and hang the stove or do I need a layer of non-combustible?

http://www.morsona.com/Files//Files/PDF/Manuals USA/72611800-6170-NA.pdf (Pg.8 and 9)

I have emails and calls out to Morso and our Canadian supplier. I have statements from a staff person at local stove retail store, our local stove installer (who has never put one in before), the building inspector and my very worthy builders. Many differing views and ideas. Appreciate any words of wisdom from someone who has installed this stove - without burning down their house :)

I have a Morso 6140 and love it. It appears that your problem may have to do with the fact that the paper covering the gyprock can burn. Also bear in mind that the gyprock around the stove may darken over time.

There is a thread on the matter: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/safe-drywall-temps.55466/

You may also want to consider if you will be covered by your insurance company in the event there is a fire.

Personally, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Reactions: Islander2
I have a Morso 6140 and love it. It appears that your problem may have to do with the fact that the paper covering the gyprock can burn. Also bear in mind that the gyprock around the stove may darken over time.

There is a thread on the matter: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/safe-drywall-temps.55466/

You may also want to consider if you will be covered by your insurance company in the event there is a fire.

Personally, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Thanks Osuna for response.

I am getting to the bottom of this. I believe the manual meant to say 'Wall hanging stove must be on a non-combustible wall." Later, the paragraph should read "Free standing stove must follow all specifications as outlined." It may be an issue of translating the manual into English. The back of the stove has the specification plate attached. It clearly says the table outlining clearances is for 'free standing'. There is no mention of wall hanging specifications. If there were, I believe that they would state that the stove must be hung on a non-combustible wall only.

Solutions are:
- support a Hardy/cement board of appropriate size out 2+" from the wall using steel studs
- have a metal bracket built that holds the stove out 2" or more.

Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.