Mosquitoes in the winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
Has anyone ever had mosquitoes brought in on wood? I have had four in my house in the past three days and I am convinced they have to be coming from a piece of my wood! Creeeepppyyyyyy......I HATE mosquitoes!!!

Actually I killed one on a split I brought in yesterday morning. Hardy little BUGgers I guess. Last year I killed quite a few in the winter months without any firewood in the house.

This has happened to me, too! I thought it was pretty weird, but I have to give the little buggers a grudging nod of respect. We've had lots of sub-freezing weather and in spite of it they've managed to come to life in the warmth of the Salon.

I think there are some mosquito species that can overwinter as adult, emerging to fly around whenever they warm up. Maybe they are hiding on the firewood.

We see mosquitoes outside at various times during the winter months. I killed a couple back in November and again in December. With the warmer air coming I wouldn't doubt but what we may have a couple more. There are never many and I've not gotten bit by one during winter but we do see them.

I just noticed one the other day after bringing a load of wood in the house. I hadn't seen mosquitoes ressurrected before, but my friend's second home in Maine is always swarming with flies once you warm the place up.

No overwintering mosquitos here, but I do carry in wood that has the Asian stink bugs, plenty of various small spider types, or the occasional bee (those things that look like overgrown yellow jackets. Infrequently, some ants in a split. The ants, in particular, definitely go in the firebox, the bees get put back outside. The others I'm not that worried about.

I've been noticing them too, and I never had before. We had a really wet summer so they must have laid some eggs in my stacks I guess.

Yup, I have them too! It must be a hatch from my super cold wood.

Better not be black flies next!

Status
Not open for further replies.