Moss Growing on Ash Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PistolPeets

Jan 1, 2019
Upstate New York
Hello all. I had a stack of ash fall over last night that was C/S/S 2 weeks ago. While standing that pile back up, I noticed that another stack of ash that was just C/S/S last weekend has moss growing on the bark. We've had some rain and snow since last weekend and it's currently a little rainy now with snow in the forecast for tonight. Neither of these piles have cover over them.

Why is there moss growing on one pile and not the other - and how do I prevent this? Will this be problematic next winter when I try to burn this stuff?

I see no problem as the wood drys the moss will turn brown and die
without hurting the wood. ( usually on the bark only)This happens with
my wood if it is not covered and kept out of the weather.

There was probably just a little bit on the splits in affected stack when you stacked it and moisture on the bark just let it grow. It should be dried out by next year.

Thanks for easing my mind fellas. Would it be advisable to cover my stacks with tarps once there's a break in the weather and it can dry up some? Or would this just compound the moss problem by trapping the moisture in the tarp?

Yes, cover the top of the stacks with a tarp or something else to keep the rain and snow off. Don't cover the sides, as that would trap water in and prevent wind from getting through.

Reactions: PistolPeets
Moss, mold, algae, or lichen ?
Even mushroom spores will find minerals to survive on on the wood.
Some won't make it thru the cold of Winter, some will dry up and die if you can keep excess water off, some only need the moisture in the air. Most will be gone by the time you go to burn the wood and the rest will pretty much be insignificant in the fire box.

My guess is it had moss when the tree was alive. Most of my maple and alder has moss it's entire life until it goes in the stove.
I just looked at my wood by the stove and guess what I found.
photostudio_1576404199408.jpg

Reactions: PistolPeets
Nope. That's just @begreen checking up on the regular posters in his neck of the woods. He can move like Santa in the middle of the night checking on who's wood is naughty (too wet) or nice (dry and clean).

Sorry, next time I'll wear shoes.