Mount Vernon AE power supply box caught fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cannonball

Jan 29, 2017
Green River, Wyoming
Came home to an ozone smell. There was a bright glow behind our pellet stove. There was a small flame coming out of the power supply unit. The home breaker had kicked. After further investigation we found that the fire stared inside the power supply unit. It also burned up the connectors at the bottom of the unit. Concerned about installing new power supply unit. (fear of fire). Has anyone else out there had a similar problem? The stove has been in place for 9 years. Working great. Minus a couple of ignitor change outs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen connectors burned on control board, due to a switch stuck open, but not on the power supply. kap

Reactions: Cannonball
After further investigation it totally destroyed the 110 connector and melted the D.C. Connector. Fire started at insert to power supply board. Indications shows one of the ribbons lifted and touched another causing a grounding. It did kick the home 20amp breaker but the fire had already started. The supply unit calls for 9.3 amp draw. I am concerned about this happening again. Thinking of adding a 10 amp fuse in line on power cord. Any comments. I have consider in rush of amperage and want to start with the smallest fuse possible. Concerned of coming home to a bigger problem if we do not build in another safe guard.

Suggest that you use a slow-blow type fuse if you add one. That would absorb the inrush current while still giving you protection.