Mountains and monsters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Out for a walk a couple days ago. It was a beautiful day and I caught this shot of Mt. Rainier. When I came home, there was the greeting committee lounging on the lawn. Young buck is getting his first set of points.

Attachments

• IMG_0783web.jpg
    IMG_0783web.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0784web.jpg
    IMG_0784web.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0785web.jpg
    IMG_0785web.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 418
Pictures tell the story, great scenery.

zap

BeGreen, that is a fantastic photo of the mountain. We visited there once and want to return some day.

On the little buck, that is odd that he is not with some buddies. They generally are in bachelor groups by now. Around here most have holed up in the corn fields now.

I'm not sure about the buck, we often see loners. Who knows, maybe he's gay?

One of the first times I ever visited Seattle (ca. 1972-ish), it was overcast and raining when I got there, and stayed that way for the next couple of days. About the third morning it dawned clear and bright and I walked out to look around, and there was Rainier, right in my face (it felt like). It actually scared me for an instant. I knew the mountain was there, but I'd never seen it before. I wasn't prepared for just how big that thing is, and how close it can seem even from 40+ miles away. Rick

I have a couple of yearling bucks in velvet hangin with the gals this year. First time I have seen that.

I think some of it is that it has been too hot and wet to mow more than twice this year. What the hell. It is 900 feet of trees between that stuff and the road so the "curb appeal" ain't suffering, Michelle the woodpile cat loves to hide in it waiting for Zebras and Wildebeest to come come within range and the dear love the fescue grass.

For certain this is not a heat issue here. We barely get to 70 most days this summer. We just had a big limb of elm fall down. Luckily it didn't hit anyone and it didn't hit the deer fence. At daybreak, this troupe was out there munching on the leaves. 24 hrs later it is stripped bare. So I'm thinking, why the heck haven't you stripped down all the damn elms sprouting from the runners of this tree?

When people walk in my woods they always ask why there isn't underbrush. Answer is the canopy and the dear. Saplings ain't got a chance. I have a seventy foot double Beech in the middle of the back yard. The lower branches were finally getting almost to the deck last year so every couple of days I would whack a couple and pile them at the back of the yard. The Deer Buffet. They went nuts.

Carnivores don't have to worry about deer wrecking their garden.

Stunning pictures. I wish I had a view like that around my house.

We have mountains and big trees a plenty. With the waters of the sound it makes the place kind of special.

fossil said:
One of the first times I ever visited Seattle (ca. 1972-ish), it was overcast and raining when I got there, and stayed that way for the next couple of days. About the third morning it dawned clear and bright and I walked out to look around, and there was Rainier, right in my face (it felt like). It actually scared me for an instant. I knew the mountain was there, but I'd never seen it before. I wasn't prepared for just how big that thing is, and how close it can seem even from 40+ miles away. Rick

I had the same reaction when I first saw it from Pike Mkt. It dominates the sky.

Great pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.