Moved some wood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Porchwood-a.jpg

Now we are ready for snow and cold. There is about 1 3/4 cord of wood there. I'll keep adding more as it goes down until late January and then won't bring more to the porch as the rest would last until Spring. Now it is just a matter of a couple steps out the door to grab what the stove needs.

Looks good dennis. How far north are you?

Thanks. We're 55 miles from Lansing. Just north of M-57 and east of US-127.

Backwoods Savage said:
Porchwood-a.gif

Now we are ready for snow and cold. There is about 1 3/4 cord of wood there. I'll keep adding more as it goes down until late January and then won't bring more to the porch as the rest would last until Spring. Now it is just a matter of a couple steps out the door to grab what the stove needs.

Very nice wood pile Dennis! BTW did you know woodpiles make a great background for pictures? We've had a pro photographer here the last couple years taking senior pics and she always makes use of the woodpiles.. Whodda thunk our woodpiles attract papparazzi? The pics do come out great too.. I want to photograph the kids myself like that sometime and see how they come out...

Ray

Backwoods Savage said:
So you pretty much have the same weather as i do. I've been waiting on some snow but none to speak of so far.

That's interesting Ray. I guess that means we have great places for pictures huh?! lol Hey, that would be a great background for pictures in your yard with your wood shed.

I maybe should have used a higher resolution on the camera because they did turn out a little blurry but close up like that I didn't think I'd need it. I had it set on 6 mp.

ohio woodburner said:
Backwoods Savage said:
So you pretty much have the same weather as i do. I've been waiting on some snow but none to speak of so far.

We should be fairly close in weather except a few degrees lower here. This is not a high snow area but the last 3 out of 4 years have been dandies. They had snow showers in the forecast last night and today but nothing yet. I see more rain/snow is forecast for next week. Time will tell. I have not seen a snowflake yet this year. I hope to start cutting wood next week.

Ya i'll have a rest from cutting beings our gun season starts Monday. Don't wanna take no chances.

Yours starts and ours ends! I pulled all of our treestands today and put up most of the hunting gear because I've filled my tags. Last Sunday morning my season ended for this year.

Great pics.
I can see the city folk wanting to use our firewood as a background for a photo shoot. Maybe, deep down, they wanna be like us!
Happy burning.

Great job as always, Dennis.

Nice job Dennis, sure beats fighting snow and cold. We're having rainy snow right now but it won't amount to anything. Too bad , shotgun season starts Monday for deer. Be safe.
Ed

Nice Stack! Our rifle season ends in two days, as you might imagine by my profile name, I'll be relieved. Then I'll set about to moving another half cord or so into the cellar.

Looking good Dennis!

Are you starting to get into your shorter pieces now?

I remember you saying you had splits left over from your last stove that were cut a little longer than 16"s...

Are you going to continue to cut White Ash?

Hope you and the Mrs. had an enjoyable turkey day.

Cheers, Hiram

FWWARDEN said:
Nice Stack! Our rifle season ends in two days, as you might imagine by my profile name, I'll be relieved. Then I'll set about to moving another half cord or so into the cellar.

lol, yes, I'll bet you will be plenty relieved. No doubt some have kept you well occupied as of late. Around here trespassing and road hunting (trolling) is one of the number one things to keep the CO's busy along with baiting, which is now an illegal activity in MI.

Not sure how things are for you but several years ago our DNR for some unknown reason quit making people wear backtags. That to me was one of the more stupid ideas. How on earth can we turn in trespassers when we can't get a license number and how does a CO know whether or not a person has a license unless he physically checks him as nobody can get a license number using binoculars any more. Fortunately we haven't had a trespasser problem for a long time after I started getting pretty strict with them and also found many items that were put out without my permission. I've even taken stands up to the barn; if they want them they can come and get them, but first, either pay a trespasser fine or make a donation to a charity and then they can get what they left. Otherwise, it was on my property so it must be mine. End of problem.

Hiram Maxim said:
Looking good Dennis!

I remember you saying you had splits left over from your last stove that were cut a little longer than 16"s...

Cheers, Hiram

Thanks Hiram. I just took another load of long stuff to a neighbor who helps me out from time to time. He can burn the long stuff so it saves me from cutting them again. However, we did cut up a lot of them this fall so now are burning the short stuff and it works well as we don't need a lot of heat just yet.

We will cut a lot of ash this winter if the body holds up but I also need to cut a bunch of elm as I haven't cut much of that in the last couple years and there is much that needs cutting or else they will begin to rot and be no good.

We had venison tenderloin for our Thanksgiving Day dinner. Much better than turkey.

I'm anxious to see how your new stove will be in January and February and I'm betting you feel the same.

You really know how to stack it in there tight! Nice job.

My shed is now in the waning, not waxing phase. I stopped moving wood to the shed over a month ago and am now moving wood from the shed. Probably have a two year supply in the shed and one year supply outside to be moved to the shed next year so I have this Winter off. No more firewood processing until next Winter. I usually do 12 cord batches at a time (every two years) but processed 24 cord the last two years to get ahead.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Looking good Dennis!

Cheers, Hiram
I'm anxious to see how your new stove will be in January and February and I'm betting you feel the same.

Dennis,
I'm getting a little anxious but Im making fairly decent progress with the house so I'm hoping to have the Englander back on line here in the next week and the BK shortly there after. Getting tired of hearing the NG Furnace run.

A friend two streets over just installed a princess insert so it will be interesting to compare.

I will keep very strict tabs on wood consumption this Winter so we can compare the BK and the Fireview.

The one big advantage you have is well seasoned wood. Mine will have been seasoning for 18 months where yours has had years. ;-)

Should be interesting non the less.
Glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

Cheers,Hiram

Backwoods Savage said:
Yours starts and ours ends! I pulled all of our treestands today and put up most of the hunting gear because I've filled my tags. Last Sunday morning my season ended for this year.

Stacks looks great Dennis!

I still have my restricted tag to fill, I shot one on the 15th. I almost got out of bed this morning and went out but decided to sleep instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.