moving freestanding to fireplace queston

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I would like to move my small freestanding Quad into my masonary fireplace which houses a Lil Buck right now. I know what to do for the flue but here's my question.

I will have to cut a few inches off the legs to clear the lintle, is that ok?
The masonary fireplace has a steel liner along the sides and back, never seen this before. I'm used to seeing firebrick there. Safe?
The fireplace is all concrete and block and is feet thick to combustable surfaces.

I was looking to do a half "in half out" install since there will be no blower just yet. I don't think I want one because of the noise and this being the t.v. room. I will only run this as a second stove when needed not all the time like my NC13

by cutting the legs you are modifying the makers design, consult your building dept to see if they approve. saftey wise, seems fine, as long as the stove still has some air flow around it, and doesn't have a rear mount fan to overheat...

steel inside masonry fp is very common, often with heatalators.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
by cutting the legs you are modifying the makers design, consult your building dept to see if they approve. saftey wise, seems fine, as long as the stove still has some air flow around it, and doesn't have a rear mount fan to overheat...

steel inside masonry fp is very common, often with heatalators.

There should be plenty of air flow behind and on the sides. The top of the stove will be about 1in from the lintle that is my biggest concern.

Thanks.

ckarotka said:
There should be plenty of air flow behind and on the sides. The top of the stove will be about 1in from the lintle that is my biggest concern.

Thanks.

Describe your 'concern': Are you concerned about air flow or combustible surface?

Shari

I guess it's not really a concern because there is nothing but brick and mortar for about 30in in all directions. I may need a heat shield for the mantle that is about 30in above where the top of the stove will be. I know the floor will need more protection but that's an easy fix.

I've seen enough pics here to know today to see it's fine.

Thanks again.

Ahhh.. the "even though I know that stuff is non combustible in my brain.. it sure is close to the stove" worry.. struggled with that myself.

Dakotas Dad said:
Ahhh.. the "even though I know that stuff is non combustible in my brain.. it sure is close to the stove" worry.. struggled with that myself.

That sums it up. I always second guess things a tad too much.

If you have a blower on the stove they are usually on the back. And it can be a big pain in the butt to lift the liner and pull out the stove to clean out the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.