Moving-is current stove too big now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAdam

Oct 16, 2014
Eastern Missouri
Hi. I have a Heatilator Eco-Choice WS18 wood stove. It puts out (according to spec sheet) 41k BTU's, saying it's effective for heating about 900-2100 sqft.

We are moving in a couple months to a cabin in the woods. It's maybe 400 sqft, single story insulated stick frame building. We will be adding onto it, but until then can this stove be used to heat (not overheat) this space? I wouldn't think burning smaller fires is the answer due to creosote buildup. That's why I figured I'd ask some pros.

Love this stove and it performed great last winter. Would be a shame to have to downsize.

That small a space is going to be hard to heat consistently with any wood stove. Might as well keep the stove, burn smaller fires and open a window. You might try burning a good compressed log product if they are available. Maybe burn just one or two at a time. Use an electric oil filled radiator or baseboard for mild temps.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrAdam
I see your predicament, like begreen said, find compress bricks and only burn a few at a time. 400sq ft isn't really that bad imo, keep in mind this is only for the short term, as you said there will be additions to your living space in the future. Start a new thread with the home and show everyone the good work that is going to be done with it. Good luck.

Reactions: MrAdam
So it's a free stove that you know and love. If the stove works for you with the addition to the house you could surely learn how to run it in small squares footage. My guess it would be the same as shoulder season burns, hot quick burns that you let burn out.

Much better to be over sized than the reverse. I bought an over sized stove and am happy. If your wood is very dry, burning small loads in shoulder seasons will not make a huge difference to creosote. I'd much rather open a window and get some fresh air to cool an over heated room than sit around freezing when it's bitterly cold outside. Keep an eye on your chimney build-up and you'll be fine.
Much better to be over sized than the reverse.

1. What's with the suggestions to burn compressed logs or bricks? Am I missing something? He is moving to a cabin in the "woods."
  2. I think the stove will be fine. It's not hard to cool things off in the winter if need be plus most cabins (in the traditional sence) are not well insulated.

What's with the suggestions to burn compressed logs or bricks? Am I missing something? He is moving to a cabin in the "woods."
the compressed blocks are very dry and can be shut down much harder much faster and there fore put out less btus

I think the stove will be fine. It's not hard to cool things off in the winter if need be plus most cabins (in the traditional sence) are not well insulated.
It can probably be managed but it is going to mean allot of large temperature swings. And he did say it was an insulated building.

the compressed blocks are very dry and can be shut down much harder much faster and there fore put out less btus

It can probably be managed but it is going to mean allot of large temperature swings. And he did say it was an insulated building.

Thanks for the reply bholler. Your points are valid but I still can not see living in the woods and buying compressed bricks but I may be stingy!

I lived in a cabin in the woods for a while and the trees blocked the sun for much of the day. It was harder to heat and being small, easier to cool than the average home but again, that's just my experience and I realize there are no steadfast rules.

Couldn't you just fill part of fire box with fire brick and make it smaller and essentially a smaller stove.

Couldn't you just fill part of fire box with fire brick and make it smaller and essentially a smaller stove.
no need just put less wood in adding fire brick would not be necessary at all

Could always open a window.

no need just put less wood in adding fire brick would not be necessary at all
I was thinking a a tighter packed smaller load would burn a bit slower so might get more burn time at a lower output, basically expose less surface are burning.

Dry soft woods burn cooler fires too, less coaling. Hemlock keeps me from over heating my house in the shoulder season.

Thanks for all the replies. I would love to keep our stove and now feel more confident that we can.

This is yet another reason why I love this forum! You all are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.