Moving to the Plattsburgh, NY area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Need the ins and outs of burning NY state, are there restrictions on wood burning appliances coming like on Montreal Island in QC? I've been looking at homes on the internet and see that they are all heated with electricity and/or propane, makes me cringe. Not only that, I see very few homes with wood burning appliances, which led me to ask the question if there were restrictions coming or already in place. Thanks!

I am outside of Rochester and have always heated with wood. Many folks up your way are wood heaters. In my town I needed a permit and then an inspection. It consisted of following the installation instructions for my stove. So I think your best bet is to call the local town and ask them what one needs to do to install a woodstove. Good luck.

Not at all. NY sucks for many reasons but not for wood burning. Outdoor boilers are still used,,but you might have to check your town regs for that.

If there are regulations, people openly ignore them. 50% of my neighbors burn wood. Its great.

i live close to plattsburgh area, no restrictions on burning other than building codes, most places wont list wood as primary heat (it needs to be tended to be sustained) where as gas / electric / oil are set and forget, welcome to the area :)

Haven't heard Plattsburgh mentioned in years, the good ol days of border hopping to go up to Montreal before I turned 21. Had a good friend that lived in Plattsburgh, wasn't much to do there.

Wilmington, rode through there quite a few times on the way to Whiteface. Haven't been up that way in almost 10 years.

One thing I remember is how many people burned wood up there, every deck was full of wood and snow.

To get a mortgage, you often needa heat source other than wood. Say electric baseboard. With the high cost of ny electricity,they aren't exclusively heating with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.