Moving topics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
When someone posts an issue or praise for a specific brand it gets moved to a brand specific forum. When this happens it gets no traction. Is this necessary? I’ve seen several, 1 of my own included die off immediately when this happens. Please stop…

All posts that are moved are supposed to keep a link back to the main thread for a least a day or two so they can be clicked on in either location. Is there a post in particular that needs attention?

Last edited:
All posts that are moved are supposed to keep a link back to the main thread for a least a day or two so they can be clicked on in either location. Is there a post in particular that needs attention?
As I’m sure you’ve noticed. The time of day or often times on weekends topics go unanswered. Seems most traffic is weekday mornings when people get settled into their offices I suppose.
Just seems like I’ve been catching threads that I have never seen, in this category. Otherwise I might have been able to help the person. When one of mine had almost no traction, I realized it had been moved to a Jotul specific thread. Then it all made since.

Reactions: kborndale
I see these posts show up under “similar posts” once a post is viewed. Otherwise I’d never see them.

I'm not a fan of how lots of threads that used to be in the general hearth room area are now moved into brand specific sub forums. I don't go thru each specific sub forums as it's just too much and miss a lot of threads that I wouldn't before.

Reactions: Highbeam
With hundreds of posts every day, too many were lost in the chatter. Some folks have expressed appreciation for the new mfg. forums. It disoriented me at first, but now I have made them Watch folders so that I get alerts for the new postings. I also check Recent Activity a few times a day.

It would be nice if we could set a watch for all of the mfg. folders with one click. I will ask @webfish if that is an option.

I use Recent Activity as well. This puts them all in one list. Sometimes I use the unanswered threads as well.

Not sure there is a setting for Watching a group of sub-forums but I will look.

I've been watching this for a few weeks now and have observed a couple of distinct benefits for posters, especially new posters. One is that they can easily find owners of the same stove to share experiences with. Searching through pages of threads to find something about your particular stove can be intimidating and a hassle, especially if it's a less common brand. The second thing I have noticed is there is less thread raiding by fan boys. This is more friendly and helpful.

The downsides are that this is a lot more work for the moderators both to keep up with new posts, and also to keep the house in order. For active participants, the ability to do a one-button "Watch all sub-folders" from the parent group would help.

Overall it seems like a gain for our users. I hope it will also make issues more visible to the stove manufacturers. We'll see.

I’m definitely not a fan of the new brand specific forums for woodstoves. Why not for pellet stoves? Boilers?

It means less people will view your posts, answer questions, solve your problems. If I stick to “my” sub forums then I never get to see new information or questions about a different brand stove unless I “invade” their room. If I’m expected to just visit all rooms then how is that better than a single woodstove forum?

Huge demand on moderators to keep moving threads into those rooms.

Reactions: webby3650