Moving warm air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are on the right track which is the most important thing. Lots of small steps cover a lot of ground. I'm 14 years into my project and still working. Just upgraded my attic insulation Friday from R 19+- to R38 after caulking/sealing everything I could. They blew in 21 bags of CertainTeed fiberglass which I figured was about R27 on top of existing in 1600 sq ft so it was on the heavy side which was okay with me. The difference has been amazing in the house holding it's temp over night...the cooling rate is noticeably less and the stove doesn't have to work as hard. My bedroom is at the end of a long hall and stayed 60-64* when the hall was 68-70*, the last two nights it has stayed a steady 66*. The installer came over Friday am with a FLIR camera to look at my wall insulation (better than I thought) and went thru the interior looking for major leaks. Nothing major found but still had leaks around both front and back doors (bottom seals) and couple windows that I thought were good. I found the most air leaks previously around the top of door trim and underside of window trim (interior) and electrical outlets. Just keep at it and hopefully your hair won't turn blue.

ChillyGator said:
I found the most air leaks previously around the top of door trim and underside of window trim (interior) and electrical outlets. Just keep at it and hopefully your hair won't turn blue.

Those outlets are real heat robbers, aren't they?!!!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Thanks Dave. That's really helpful information. What I could understand of it anyway, since I don't speak HVAC-ese. :)

I'm still not getting that, though I tried a lot of different fan angles yesterday.

Just think of it this way if you block your cold air duck runs the cold air has no place to go but stay at the bottom of your floor or your feet because cold air is heavier then hot. You can seal the returns so the air under it is not coming through a crack on your duck work and floor but don't block the cold air from leaving.

Now you can place those fans so you can pull the hot air down from the ceiling with proper flow.
md

Status
Not open for further replies.