Ms026 vs ms260 vs ms261

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I have decided to pick up a mid range saw. My ms360 has a 20” bar on it and it is a bit heavy to do little stuff. My ms170 is a true limbing saw. I am looking at these three saws. I am told by the owners that none were used commercially. Asking price for the ms026 is 250.00
ms260 is 350.00
ms261 is 435.00

i understand these are pretty much the same saws. Have they improved much over the years?Any comments appreciated

Pull the muffler and look at the piston.Buy the one in the best shape for the money.

Reactions: CincyBurner
I have the 261 and love it. It is the bottom end of the professional line of Stihls. Nice and light, and enough jam to deal with the trees in the boreal. Gas tank is a bit small, but likely not important given the other saws you're looking at.

As for piston, if i see slightest evidence of scoring do i walk away?

I've owned an MS 260 for 10+ years, and we run both MS 260 and MS 261 at work.
The 261 definitely has the edge on weight : power ratio (1.6 kg/ kW for MS 261, and 1.8 kg/ kW for MS 260).
Both cut great for their size (50 cc), and both well-balanced. The 261 C-M, along with the other Stihl C-M saws have crisper throttle response.

Reactions: Diabel
As for piston, if i see slightest evidence of scoring do i walk away?
Yes unless you are looking for a project saw.Then it becomes a item of discussion when talking price.

Reactions: Diabel
Decided and picked up the saw. Pics tomorrow.
It will be a nice addition to the saw family.

I ended up getting a brand new ms261cm with 18” bar. I figured...heck i live once and the price was good. Also, it is nice to support a local dealer, they have had a rough time since March.

3D56495B-0A00-45E6-827E-6BA0861DA292.jpeg
Let me introduce a new member to the family ms261c.

Funny, you mention it. I was thinking maybe porting the 360

Reactions: JimBear