MS280__Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mecreature

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
indiana
I bought a new MS 280 back in November.
I was cleaning it over the weekend and found the Handle had busted off the bottom.
The handle and where it attaches to the bottom are both busted.
I took it to the dealer. He says this is gonna cost ya. I told him I doubt it.

Take a look at the pic and tell me what is up.

I really like the saw but if this is going to continue I will upgrade in a heart beat.

Attachments

• 280.jpg
    280.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 344
  • 280_2.jpg
    280_2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 374
You saying that it was bought in Nov. and there not going to cover it?

smokinjay said:

Thats is what the kid at the counter told me.
I didn't take the bar and chain in. He said he would like to see it.
I ask him what that had to do with anything. He says he wants to see if its sharp, I could have been pushing it.
I told him it is sharp, I keep it sharp. I will take the bar and chain in for them to see.

He said he called stihl and they didn't cover that. He said how do we know you didn't drop it.
I said cause I said I didn't, why would I lie about a thing like that.

How does the bottom of this saw compare to others, structurally wise?
Not sure if you can see it well enough.

mecreature said:
I was cleaning it over the weekend and found the Handle had busted off the bottom.

I really like the saw but if this is going to continue I will upgrade in a heart beat.

It's under warranty....get a new saw or get the number for your dealers stihl rep and call him

HittinSteel said:
mecreature said:

It's under warranty....get a new saw or get the number for your dealers stihl rep and call him

That is my plan.
The main mechanic is out for a couple days.
It is an old time mom and pop true value with a stihl department and rental area.
Been around for ever. good place.

I just don't want it happening again.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:

I ask him what that had to do with anything. He says he wants to see if its sharp, I could have been pushing it.
I told him it is sharp, I keep it sharp. I will take the bar and chain in for them to see.

He said he called stihl and they didn't cover that. He said how do we know you didn't drop it.

You seen us with the 361's and 460 running like a bad out of hell.....You really should not have an issue like that other than a concrete drop? Seems what there thinking anyways. (I do not see any evidence of that) Dull chain comment is BS! If it was drop hard on something solid there would be prof!

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:

You seen us with the 361's and 460 running like a bad out of hell.....You really should not have an issue like that other than a concrete drop? Seems what there thinking anyways. (I do not see any evidence of that) Dull chain comment is BS! If it was drop hard on something solid there would be prof!

that is the way I see it.

I called the main tech center they told me to call the regional techcenter. I called, then they called the dealer. Now it is half what it was on parts and service $100 bucks will fix it. thats a good price but it should cost me 0. lets see what another call will get. I took the bar and chain, yip its sharp and in good condition.
The kid at the desk is just doing what he is told. I have no beef with him.
I just dont want it to happen again. And if I had know I would spend another 100 bucks that might have pushed me to the next level.

we'll see

1st of all s%%t happened without any explanation. That said it should be warranted. I would have come across the counter if some punk kid told me that. I would call Stihl and get this cleared up in a hurry.

rwhite said:
1st of all s%%t happened without any explanation. That said it should be warranted. I would have come across the counter if some punk kid told me that. I would call Stihl and get this cleared up in a hurry.

Who exactly would you call for a speedy results?

mecreature said:
rwhite said:

I guess I would call Stihl directly. Not always the case but I have found that if a dealer won't cooperate a call to the company can solve it. If I know I've done nothing to cause it and the dealer and company won't cooperate then they both have lost a customer.

Hi
Did you buy it with a credit card?
Sometimes you get 2x the warranty.
Good Luck
Thomas

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:

You got about 500 reason to lie, and they have about 500 reasons to believe it too.

mecreature said:
rwhite said:

You need to get in touch with the territory rep. from the distributorship if your having a dealer problem. That's not going to be easy as that information isn't published anywhere I know of.

I'd keep at it with Stihl customer service/tech support. Be polite, and most of the time they come through for the customer. Offer to send pictures of the saw (especially if your saw is in pristine condition). Ii know when I worked at the dealership here Stihl rarely turned away warranty claims for equipment that obviously had been taken care of.

How bout a call to another dealer? They may give up a reps # more easily than the store your currently dealing with.

You are liable to get a recording or something, but here is the Stihl phone number in VA. 800-467-8445.

"If the customer does not receive satisfactory results from the authorized STIHL dealer the customer may contact the STIHL service department..."

Bocefus78 said:
How bout a call to another dealer? They may give up a reps # more easily than the store your currently dealing with.

I would be tucking my tail, I should have went with these guys to start with If you get my drift.
I just like them better. Its a longer drive but they are more farm and heavy equipment stuff.

firebroad said:
You are liable to get a recording or something, but here is the Stihl phone number in VA. 800-467-8445.

"If the customer does not receive satisfactory results from the authorized STIHL dealer the customer may contact the STIHL service department..."

If you cal VA they forward you to your regional offices. That is where I got shuffled. The guy was nice called the dealer and KO'ed half the parts.
I will give him a call back later. Some sad stories and a picture of my saw with my family in the back ground.
You know, tell him that I had longed for something in my life and this saw gave it to me...that type stuff.

mecreature said:
firebroad said:

If you cal VA they forward you to your regional offices. That is where I got shuffled. The guy was nice called the dealer and KO'ed half the parts.
I will give him a call back later. Some sad stories and a picture of my saw with my family in the back ground.
You know, tell him that I had longed for something in my life and this saw gave it to me...that type stuff.

HA! Should have known, that was too easy. Good you can keep a sense of humor about the whole thing. I like my local STIHL dealer, too.

mecreature said:
Bocefus78 said:

I would be tucking my tail, I should have went with these guys to start with If you get my drift.
I just like them better. Its a longer drive but they are more farm and heavy equipment stuff.

Then they may be more willing to help if they realize the saw needs replaced under warranty and they could move a new 362!
If you really get stonewalled, take a look at and mention the Indiana Consumer Sales Practices Act....... might get the dealer moving. Sometimes businesses just need a little "push" to do what's right.

mecreature said:
...The main mechanic is out for a couple days....
Did he come back yet? If so, what did he say?

jimbom said:
mecreature said:
...The main mechanic is out for a couple days....
Did he come back yet? If so, what did he say?
He will be back tomorrow. I do not believe he will be of any help.
I think it is SOP to let stihl make the call on these issues.

latest response from the Stihl Tech,

I offered the tank housing to you at a reduced price to help make your repairs as inexpensive as possible. And very HAPPY to help with the situation.
The break in this part is not a factory defect in the parts or workmanship. The bar has been pinched or somehow pressure has been applied or saw has some kind of impact??
I do not believe this tank just broke, I don't understand it just breaking. This being said I do value your business and very happy to help.

Again I'm very happy to help.

Sounds like Mr./Ms. Happy is giving you the old runaround. :-S I hope I am wrong.

reply from stihl tech,

I contacted the dealer (Brad) he and I worked together, please take your saw to them and they will repair it n/c to you.

thank you

That's the way it should be,since it was only 3 months old & still under warranty.

Dealer's should have no reason to give you the runaround as they get PAID parts + shop labor to fix the product. They may not get as much labor time as they'd like but it's not like they're expected to eat the repair.

As a tech I have seen many, many "warranty" issues paid in full by Stihl despite the failure being caused by obvious operator inexperience/neglect.

Status
Not open for further replies.