MS290 for me maybe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mayhem said:
http://hartford.craigslist.org/for/2298773693.html

Randomly hit this on CL. Sent an e-mail, what do I need to know when/if I get to see it? Have the cash in pocket to cover the cost if its good.

Looks brand new!

Not a big fan of the 290 (it's a pig in p:w) but pretty good deal--you could use it while saving up for a better one (if necessary) and get your money back in a couple years.

S

It looks brand new and the saw works just fine. People whine about the saw because they like whining. It's their best selling saw. If it was such a pig they wouldn't sell more of them than any other saw. I run one with a 16" bar and a chisel chain and I'm thrilled with it. I have a 20" bar for when I need it, but only have a green (safety) chain for it.

Matt

I'm not whining, just pointing out one of its shortcomings. Look at the other post by someone looking to upgrade. The 290 is a best selling saw because of its price and reliability for the average user, not its performance. I wish somebody'd explained the differences to me before I bought my 250, which was subsequently replaced with a 361. For the money here, though, it's a good deal.

S

just bought one,..... had to trade it for a 391, the 290 was a dog, not impressed at all, felt bulky\

So it's a reliable, decently priced saw for the average user who doesn't need a large saw and can swing the approx 15lb powerhead and chain. Gotcha... sounds like a horrible idea.

Matt

At this point, with all the other great saws around, the only thing that keeps it as Stihl's best selling saw is dealer showroom pressure and consumer ignorance. A few years ago, I actually bought a 290 based on the fact that it was "the best selling saw that Stihl offers." Talk about yer circular logic!

I'll give you this: at a used saw price, it's a good deal for lower volume cutting. For the money, though, I'd aim for a 50cc class saw (think Dolmar/Makita/Husqvarna/Jonsered) that has better chain speed, better antivibration, better fuel economy, and much lighter weight.

Fellas, it all depends upon your needs. Everyone does not need a bigger saw and some can use smaller saws. Although I've cut with much bigger saws (when logging), one day I was buying some new tires and while waiting I looked at the saws. My first thing was to see how much each saw weighed, simply because of a terrible back problem. Later I got to talking to the owner and he insisted I take home a 290 to see what I thought about it. I did and was pleased with the saw. A few days later I took it back and told him it was terrible. Then we started talking prices of several of the saws. I causally mentioned something about that saw I used and asked how much he would take off that saw if I took it. Got a whale of a bargain. Sure, I've used lots better saws than this one but it does everything I need it to do and has been trouble free. I have no complaints on it even though I know there are better saws. So long as it does what you want it to do, the saw is good. It is the ones that do not perform the way you need that makes it a bad saw.

I had a guy cutting on our place this winter and he couldn't say enough about his big husky he bought. It even has a 36" bar and yes, he could go through a log faster than I could. I'd like the saw but I could not handle it simply because my back could not take it. I'm even considering a smaller saw for next year although I'll still keep the 290.

My point is to not knock the saw just because there are some better ones on the market. After all, why buy a Ford when there are Cadillacs and Corvettes available?

Backwoods Savage said:
Fellas, it all depends upon your needs. Everyone does not need a bigger saw and some can use smaller saws. Although I've cut with much bigger saws (when logging), one day I was buying some new tires and while waiting I looked at the saws. My first thing was to see how much each saw weighed, simply because of a terrible back problem. Later I got to talking to the owner and he insisted I take home a 290 to see what I thought about it. I did and was pleased with the saw. A few days later I took it back and told him it was terrible. Then we started talking prices of several of the saws. I causally mentioned something about that saw I used and asked how much he would take off that saw if I took it. Got a whale of a bargain. Sure, I've used lots better saws than this one but it does everything I need it to do and has been trouble free. I have no complaints on it even though I know there are better saws. So long as it does what you want it to do, the saw is good. It is the ones that do not perform the way you need that makes it a bad saw.

I had a guy cutting on our place this winter and he couldn't say enough about his big husky he bought. It even has a 36" bar and yes, he could go through a log faster than I could. I'd like the saw but I could not handle it simply because my back could not take it. I'm even considering a smaller saw for next year although I'll still keep the 290.

My point is to not knock the saw just because there are some better ones on the market. After all, why buy a Ford when there are Cadillacs and Corvettes available?

+100 Nothing at all wrong with the 290,310,390 line up. 290 is the best selling sale for a lot more reason than a salesman! People buy them because there bullet proof at a good price!

I also agree. Nothing wrong with that series, but the 290 (decades old technology) is not the best choice for everyone these days and they do get pushed too much, IMO. Lots of older folk can't take the weight in long cutting sessions and the vibrations can be a bit much.

Mayhem, sorry if I threw this off track--I was merely saying that it looked like a decent deal on a decent saw, and if it didn't work out you could always break even later.
By the way, is this your first/only saw? How will you be using it?

S

Maybe I'm just a lot stronger than I realize, but I've never had a problem with the weight of my 290. Sure a larger CC, pro saw would be nice, but I'm not racing. I'm cutting firewood. And before anyone says anything, yes, I have used pro saws before. 346xp's, 357xp's, and a could big Jonsered's. They are nice and fast, but I can't justify buying one new when my 290 has been able to cut everything I've thrown at it.

ikessky said:
Maybe I'm just a lot stronger than I realize, but I've never had a problem with the weight of my 290. Sure a larger CC, pro saw would be nice, but I'm not racing. I'm cutting firewood. And before anyone says anything, yes, I have used pro saws before. 346xp's, 357xp's, and a could big Jonsered's. They are nice and fast, but I can't justify buying one new when my 290 has been able to cut everything I've thrown at it.

+1 lol If your moving more than a couple cords a year (-1or+50), does a 12-13 lb saw mean anything at all? NO! If your felling or bucking big wood now you may want to move up.

Here's my take: I used to work in home theatre sales and installation. When Plasma was first developed, Sony was the most recognized name (of course) but Pioneer Elite was (by far) the best performing. Yes, Elite was more money--but often when I would sell a Sony without giving the Elite its due, customers would ultimately disappointed. Once they saw the Elite, and knew what the best was and what made them different, they could make a better, more informed, decision--and most would spend the money for the Elite. And the price often wasn't much different.

I feel the same about everything--I want to know about the best available, why it exists, what makes it better, and what the cost is to move up.

S

I don't do anything without researching it to death. I used the "pro" saws before I bought my MS290 because I have family members that own them. However, I'm looking to cut firewood and my family members are using their saws every day as loggers. They are great saws, but I'm not about to drop that kind of money right now on something used to only cut firewood. I could have also bought an expensive truck to move my firewood, but I decided that the $1500 one would move it just the same.

Again, if people have the available cash to put down on a MS361, MS440, 357xp, etc. then I say go for it. When I bought my saw, I needed something that I could afford, that got good reviews, and that I wouldn't mind cutting 5+ cords of wood with every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.