1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

MS460 Magnum for $450.00......Should I?

Post in 'The Gear' started by ScotO, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BrianK

BrianK Guest

27s are great. I shot IDPA with one. I never got good at it. I was always in the top quarter for accuracy but bottom quarter for speed. I just traded a Gen I G22 for a Gen III G19 with Crimson Trace grips. Sweet!
    Boog likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Damm straight shooting there StillHead, that's exactly what will happen! Like the guy who was talking about this "440" (that later turned out to be a 460). He got a very small pile of ammo, I got his saw. This is what it looks like today:

460.3.jpg

460.2.jpg

I only wish I had taken a before photo, it was a real beater cosmetically and had a big crack in the handle............ this Stihl gray-white paint is real nice. I've only put one coat on the upper surfaces. Picked up a new tank/handle for $88 on ebay, and used top & air covers cheap there too, plus a new 460 ID tag. The piston and cylinder looked fantastic on this saw and it ran (and vibrated) real nice. It was worth it to me to fix it up. I'll have just under $375 into it when I'm done. It will look better than Dex's saw! :p

So StihlHead, what are you packing these days............ getting a little short on any calibers?
    smokinj likes this.
  3. BrianK

BrianK Guest

Here ya' go ;-)

STIHL 088 MAGNUM CHAINSAW in Damascus, MD
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Guns and chainsaws... now we are into the real interesting stuff!

I am long on .45 ACP and .223 ammo... but if you have some British .303 I could use some for my Enfield. I do not fire it that much though. It has a kick that is hard on my shoulder. I also need a smaller caliber semi-automatic to carry, as the 1911 is a bit large to lug around concealed. I like it for open carry on my thigh though. I want a single action 9mm or 10mm. Now that Obammy is flapping about gun control it is hard to even get into the door at the local gun shops. I will have to hit the next gun show in town.
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I'm super "plazy"? WTF is that?
    Danno77 and HittinSteel like this.
  7. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Is this a conversation between multiple personalities?
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I AM the local power shop. ::-)
    ditchrider likes this.
  9. fabsroman

fabsroman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Friendship, Maryland
    Yep, that is right down the road from me, but I need a 088 like I need another hole in my head. For that matter, I am looking at buying a MS362, and I need that like I need another hole in my head. Going to get a MS192c-e though here real soon. That one I can semi justify.
  10. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

No no no no no no no no no... you simply NEED more chainsaws!

Yes, my precious chainsaws... good they are for us!

I would say that you have a hole in your collection at the low end, the 192 or a 211 type saw would fill that void. Then you have the rather large and glaring hole in the mid range between the 261 and the 660. You simply need a 60 or 70 cc saw, or both! Yes yes yes, a 30-40cc lower end saw, and a 60cc and 70cc saw is the Rx here. Then you will have the holes filled, see? :cool:
    DexterDay likes this.
  11. fabsroman

Loc:
    Yeah, I am sure I will have plenty of saws over time. Seems to be a habit of mine, collecting things. Saws, pens, bicycles, guns, star wars lego sets. Think that is all of the "collections" right now. Ah, forgot the old comic book collection and hand carved decoy collection. God help me when I start collecting cars.
  12. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

My dad collected cars. He even composted them. Literally. When he died, we found 2 buried Caddys in the back 40 that his second wife did not even know about. He had over 20 cars and PUs, and 2 boats. My neighbor here collects old PU trucks. They are completely overgrown with blackberries. I counted over 100 when I walked back there last summer. Even he does not recall how many he has any more.

I had over 20 saws in my collection when I moved here 2 years ago. Then I sold over half of them. More from fear of theft or robbery and I did not have room for them all. Most of them were in boxes. The economy is thawing out and people are not unloading saws like they were 4 years ago. I have not bought any new or used saws in a while. I could get by with just one 026 and a 361. Or even just one 361. My precious! But 2 are more better.
  13. fabsroman

Loc:
    I am sure we could all get by with a Home Depot special if we had to. It would not be fun, but we could do it.

Throwing the good stuff in the furnace tonight since it is supposed to be 10 degrees out and I will tell you, nothing like locust/oak/hickory compared to the cherry, sweet gum, and other wood I have been using until this week. Kind of like comparing a Stihl to other saws. Just not much else like it. I could probably get by with sweet gum, poplar, and pine, but who wants to do that unless utterly necessary.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Well Scott, How'd that go? If you had a new saw I would've thought we'd have seen pictures by now.... ;)
    Nixon and Thistle like this.
  15. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    You should look into Kahr Arms for a smaller framed sidearm. They build a solid and small framed gun.
  16. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Second that on the Kahrs, I have a K9 with the electroless Nickel finish with tritium night sights on it. Its what's by the side of the bed for when I get woke up in the middle of a dark night out here in the country................. My 3 radioactive dots clearly show where I'm aiming. They are DAO though, I think Stilhead was looking for something Single Action.
  17. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I passed on it. Too much money for that saw IMHO. I'll wait for the 660....;)
  18. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    150 psi its not going to be a bad arse.
  19. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    460 is a very hot saw but compression imo needs to be north of 165 and 190 seems to be the sweet spot. Oh and what the heck are you cutting for? Twin Out door wood burners? ;)
    StihlHead likes this.
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Those compression levels (190psi _g) do not happen with stock saws. ;)
    smokinj likes this.
  21. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

I think Scotty is morphing into MegaOverKill. He is dialing in his wood supply in for a new line of Quadrafire systems: The Quad OWB! Burns through 40 cords a year, keeps his place a nice tropical 85 degrees, heats his new Olympic size indoor pool year round to 80 deg. and his new giant hot tub to 104. A new de-icing hydronic system is being buried under his property to melt any snow that may fall anywhere near his house.

Got ice? Forget about it! A trip to Hawaii will only be a hour or two drive from anywhere in central PA!
    smokinj, ScotO and DexterDay like this.