MT. Vernon AE and Hamer pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
I am burning Hamers in my AE and I am having problems with it forming a clinker in the burn pot that will not drop out during the auto clean. It is sticking to the pot sides and eventually causing overfull burn pot and missed ignitions. I was burning on Manual Medium, -5 flame height, hardwood pellet setting. Just tonight I switched over to the Utility pellet setting, thinking it will auto clean sooner perhaps not allowing the clinker to form to the point where it won't drop out. Is anyone else having this same problem and if so what are you doing to remedy? The Hamer's certainly burn nice and hot and are doing great heating my home, just never had this problem before. This is my first year with the Hamer's.

My first suggestion would be to make sure it's the pellets that are causing the problem. Buy 2-3 bags of another brand, and without changing the settings on the stove, burn the new brand and see if the same thing happens.

I burned about 10 bags of Hamers in our AE early in the season without a problem. Mostly on med-low, at -5. Have switched back to last year's leftover O'Malleys, but am now running out of them. Will finish the season with 3 tons of the Hamers, hopefully.

have had same issue with Barefoot pellets in our AE, I have burnt them for 3 seasons this is 1st time I have had this problem. Someone suggested a moisture test on the pellets, I am going to have to check into this.

My AE loves Hamers and Barefoots- never an issue. The only thing my stove clinkered on was Inferno if I remember correctly. The other thing is what Hamer's you're burning- the Elkins plant makes the better version (from hardwood flooring dust all oak) and that is what most recommend. Moisture could be an issue.

switching over to utility will prolly solve the problem.
it should auto clean every 1.5 hours approx.

tsmith said:
I am burning Hamers in my AE and I am having problems with it forming a clinker in the burn pot that will not drop out during the auto clean. It is sticking to the pot sides and eventually causing overfull burn pot and missed ignitions. I was burning on Manual Medium, -5 flame height, hardwood pellet setting. Just tonight I switched over to the Utility pellet setting, thinking it will auto clean sooner perhaps not allowing the clinker to form to the point where it won't drop out. Is anyone else having this same problem and if so what are you doing to remedy? The Hamer's certainly burn nice and hot and are doing great heating my home, just never had this problem before. This is my first year with the Hamer's.

Had the same problem with the Hammers I was using and it didn't do it with the Green Team's I used all last year and part of this year until I broke into the new supply of Hammers I got in September. My friend bought them from me and is burning them in his Summers Heat and is loving them!.......Go figure???

smoke show said:
switching over to utility will prolly solve the problem.
it should auto clean every 1.5 hours approx.
I thought of that last night, so I tried it and it appears to be working ok on utility setting. I guess with them burning so hot, you need to empty the pot sooner so they cant form as hard a clinker.

I have the same issue with hamer hot ones just started burning them a few days ago (bought 2 tons in aug) i'm getting massive clinkers not sure what to set differenly have tried adjusting the lower feed rate and air but seems to make no difference burning these in a enlander 25pdvc, I had a lot less clinkers with the cheaper pellets

imacman said:
My first suggestion would be to make sure it's the pellets that are causing the problem. Buy 2-3 bags of another brand, and without changing the settings on the stove, burn the new brand and see if the same thing happens.

imacman: with the AE, at the very least, you will probably need to adjust the flame height for different pellets to get an appropriately tall flame. At -5, the flame is probably way too low for anything but "the good stuff".

I have never had a clinker problem like that in my AE. Never had an opportunity to try Hamers yet either though.

I seem to be having better luck burning on utility pellet mode because it dumps every 1.5 hours not allowing a big clinker to form, however, it causes many more ignitions that are hard on the ignitor. I e-mailed Lori Hamer tonight about this problem to see what she has to say. I will let you know of her response.

Status
Not open for further replies.