Mt Vernon AE Convection Blower Slowing Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peter Martin

Oct 27, 2013
Chappaqua, NY
Last night, I noticed my convection blower was making a slightly different noise while my Mt. Vernon AE was running. It also seemed not to be running at full speed. I didn't pay too much attention last night, as the stove was still running, but this morning I got the "Conv blower jammed" message. I tried resetting the stove and now that message comes up almost immediately after I plug the stove back in. Because of the noise and slow running from yesterday, I'm 95% sure that the convection blower is shot, but just wanted to see if there might be any other issues I should check before I shell out $250 for a new one. I jumped the drop tube snap disc and that wasn't the issue. The stove is 7 years old, so is that about the lifespan of the convection blower?

Thanks,

No that sounds about right when a motor is whooped. Is the squirrel cage clean? That can slow them down also

Yup, it's all clean. It must just be dead.

No that sounds about right when a motor is whooped. Is the squirrel cage clean? That can slow them down also

Have you ever taken it out and took it apart and cleaned it? If so, I would say time for a new fan. kap

Yes I took it out and cleaned it, but still no luck. Is 7 years a pretty good run for one of these fans? I have a Castile as well, and that convection blower only took 3 years to die, so maybe I'm lucky.

It probably is. I have an 06 AE and the original fan in it still, and an 06 Santa Fe with the original conv fan in it yet also. Stay warm. kap