MT Vernon AE Insert Auger Jammed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdkwork

Feb 8, 2012
Northern CT
Hi everyone this is my first post after just finding this forum. There is lots of great information on the site and I have search for most.

I am having issues with the auger jamming. The stove was bought and installed in 2008. We usually burn around 4 tons of pellets per year and love the MT Vernon. Even my wife loves the heat and will even take care of the stove. This year we have been having problems with the auger. We burned around 1 ton and now we get auger jams 2-3 times a day. It is not fun to get up in the morning to a cold house.

We are burning Cleanfire Pacific Blend soft wood pellets for the first time. In the past we used hardwood pellets. The stove will be burning for a while and then stop. We can't get the restart to work after the jam so we need to unplug to reset the stove. The stove will relight and run again for a while. We have found that we do get a jam usually after filling the stove but it will happen at any time.

I have completely emptied the stove, vacuumed everything (pot, burn shelf, heat exchanger, hopper, auger tube). I also partially pulled the auger. I did not find many fines but the fines do feel "sand like". I also cleaned the optical sensor on the auger. We don't hear any clunking noise during operation but have heard noises after it thinks it is jammed. I think the auger is running in reverse.

Could the motor be bad? The control board? Is there anything that I missed or could check? I guess next step could be call in the repair guys but they are expensive. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Paul

Yes the auger will run backwards if it thinks its jammed.

Yes the auger could be bad. Not likely the board.

Whats more expensive a service call or throwing parts at it?

Hopefully one of our resident Quad techs will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.