Mt Vernon AE No Communication

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gjwiepz

Nov 19, 2008
Dunkirk WI
Hello all. I have a 10 year old Mt Vernon AE Stove. My (New) wall controller gives me the dashed lines across the top (No communication). Prior to replacing the Wall unit, the stove would run but not shut down when temp was reached. Quadrafire said it was the wall unit. This is actually the second new one because the supplier wanted to make sure that he didn't give me a bad one. I have checked the wiring on the control board several times. Other that the Firepot TC not fitting tight everything appears OK.

Now I have nothing. Any suggestions on what to check. How do you confirm that the control board is bad.

Thanks in advance. It is gettin cold in Wisconsin!!

The white wire is the communication wire. Check the connections. And gentle lift up on the wires where they attach to the stove. The wire ends are weak enough, they loose signal. Best to cut wire ends off and connect wires to stove. And sometimes just gently pushing on the computer ribbon in the wall control, will make things work also. kap

Also, on the backside of where the tstat wires hook to stove, there is a zip tie on the wires that can be too tight. Carefully snip it off. kap

You can also unplug stove, wait a bit, and plug back in. Kinda like rebooting system. kap

I replaced the thermostat wire and even tried a short piece to see if that made a difference. The parts store called Quadrafire and they concluded that it was the board. I just received it and was installing it when I realized that the TC fittings on the board are different and my TC fitting don't want to match. The Fire pot TC is a close match but the drop tube fitting is not compatible at all. The Fire pot TC is a year or two old and on the previous board just sat on the two pins until it occasionally shook loose. The Drop tube TC is original I think. Is there a fix for these fittings or will I have to buy new TCs.

Thanks for the help.

Make sure you don't have them turned around, or swapped in place. I would be asking the parts store to ask Quad if anything is going on. kap