1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mt. Vernon AE Question

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Drew1024, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew1024

Drew1024 New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Do any of you guys hear a slight humming vibrating noise in the background while running your stoves? It doesn't sound like any of the fans or anything, just a hum sound sometimes. Also, what is better for overall heat distribution- normal or quiet?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smoke show

smoke show Guest

insert or freestanding? quiet just makes the fan turn slower. have not noticed any humming.
  3. Drew1024

Drew1024 New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Freestanding stove. I'm wondering if that slight hum is air making its way into the unit via my OAK.
  4. eric_s

eric_s Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I have a freestanding with my fan on normal to put out as much heat as possible. As for the hum, I do not hear any other than the few seconds at start-up.
  5. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    I have the AE Insert without OAK and I do not have any humming sound.

Are you certain it is not the Convection Fan?
  6. Drew1024

Drew1024 New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    It doesn't sound like it is related to the fans. By the way, when you guys use the normal setting for the fan, is it pretty loud? Could it disrupt watching tv? For me, it is pretty loud. The quiet setting is ok though.
  7. cbducks

cbducks New Member

Loc:
    Central Iowa
    I hear that every once in a while, but I think it has to do with the amount of additional air being pulled through the unit due to large flame at start up. If you can relate, it is a lot like a sail boat when you get strong winds and the sails at a perfect angle the boat starts humming, (of course only a sailor will relate to this sorry in advance). All in all, I would guess it is hydrodynamics involving the cast iron baffles and exhaust tubing (any bends that would create vibrations). I just turn the flame level down and it goes away.
  8. smoke show

smoke show Guest

have not turned mine to normal yet, it's too close to the tv. and it's doing fine on quiet, we'll see what happens when the cold weather comes.
  9. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    I run my stove on the normal setting all the time. The stove is not located in the room with our TV however if it were I don't see that it would be a problem, it is not that loud.
  10. Deed

Deed Member

Loc:
    Central Me
    I hear this hum from time to time, not sure what it is, but it doesn't happen that often. This unit has many things going on so i would suspect from time to time you would hear strange sounds.
  11. JimJK

JimJK New Member

Loc:
    New England
    I believe the noise you are hearing may be the auto-clean system. I hear the noise every now and then on my Mt. Vernon AE. The auto-clean system will occur during shutdown or at a predetermined burn time. This noise is normal.

Jim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.